Jade as bonsai

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_20210517_143405.jpgIMG_20210517_143357~2.jpg

Crassula ovata Crosby compact. It's a multi trunk that got a pretty good whack last week when night temps got up to the 70s. I don't think crassula is a great species for bonsai, but a couple tricks make it suitable enough...
  • Prune when growing vigorously, which is when night temps are around 70, before it's too close to fall. Remove any etiolated growth from winter or weak growth that will droop.
  • Structure like a broadleaf with mostly upward movement. Horizontal branches tend to sag in a manner that looks weak rather than aged (per coniferous style bonsai)
  • Roots come out at leaf scars rather than radially. Consequently you have two directional roots of your nebari comes from 1 node. You can get more radial roots if you're nebari comes from 2 nodes, but they have to be compact nodes. My jade bonsai only have roots at 1 node going toward the sides of the pot, which was girth to the trunk over time. Consequent this dictates the orientation of the tree. I cut off any excess trunk below the soil with a hacksaw.
  • I plant mine in pumice and they need water about 1x/week with light fertilization. The more stress, such as sun and extreme temperatures, the more colorful the leaves. Just don't kill the plant with the goal of making it showy.
I gave away the cuttings locally aside from a few that I'm rooting for a neighbor.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pretty. Thanks for the tips! I have a standard jade growing in my entryway in a terra cotta pot. From your comments, it sounds like June may be a good time to lop off the droopy branches here!

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty. Thanks for the tips! I have a standard jade growing in my entryway in a terra cotta pot. From your comments, it sounds like June may be a good time to lop off the droopy branches here!
June would be a good time. I transition mine outside each spring once above freezing. If outside, they respond much better to prunning

Top Bottom