Jade Bonsai Update

How long do Jade bonsai typically take to start rooting after cutting?

• 1-2 months

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • 2 + months

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • other

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

ekim046

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey folks,

New to bonsainut (and forums in general) so bear with me please as I settle in :)

I have a few bonsai I'd like to share, the first of which is quickly becoming a new favorite of mine - a Jade (portucalra afra) bonsai.

I've made a few videos on some of the things I've done to her thus far - head chopping, styling, soil building so please feel free to check them out and be on the lookout for updates! I'll also post a picture of when I got her, about 4 years ago(?), so you can see the progress that has been made!

This is the most recent update I did of her, be sure to check out the previous videos to see what else has been done and let me know what you think!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had to laugh when I saw how rusted and dull your cutters are. And welcome to The Nut.

ekim046

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the support folks, good to delve deeper into the community. I know, my tools are pretttyyy rusty hehe..he.

In any case, yeah, Jades are quickly becoming a favorite of mine, especially in zone 11b - it just never stops growing. The Jade has responded very well to the repot, new growth is popping up all over the place :)

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Cool video. I'm out in Southern California as well. Gotta check out that landscape place for my next soil run.

If you're not too far away come by San Gabriel Nursery. They have some pretty good pre-bonsai material there.

ekim046

Seedling
Reaction score
Cool video. I'm out in Southern California as well. Gotta check out that landscape place for my next soil run.

If you're not too far away come by San Gabriel Nursery. They have some pretty good pre-bonsai material there.

Hey thanks for the advice! I've just moved so I've been dying to find some new pre bonsai spots in the area. Check out wolfinbarger in Chino and ill probably at the SG Nursery this weekend. Good to speak with some locals who are into bonsai. My friends are losers :)

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the advice! I've just moved so I've been dying to find some new pre bonsai spots in the area. Check out wolfinbarger in Chino and ill probably at the SG Nursery this weekend. Good to speak with some locals who are into bonsai. My friends are losers :)
I live less than 15 minutes away from San Gabriel nursery. Let me you when you swing by and I can show you around.

The trees that I have the most success with in our hot climate are oaks, elms, and ficus. They tolerate the heat well, have minimal pest issues, and are more forgiving. Junipers are pretty solid too but I got hit with spider mites hard, even worse it was when I moved and left my trees under the care of my mom for most of the summer. Dwarf jade can become some pretty crackin bonsai but as with anything it takes a long time. A guy here in the local bonsai scene, Frank Yee, propagates cork bark dwarf jade. As the trees mature and age their bark will look akin to what you see on a cork bark elm. I have one that I've been growing in the ground but its barely beginning to cork.

Here is an awesome (non corking) dwarf jade at the Pacific Bonsai Museum. Anyhow I've been super immersed in bonsai for the past 3-4 years and hope to pursue it professionally in the future. Feel free to ask me anything and I'm sure other nutters here are more than willing to help too.

20160324_143937.jpg

ekim046

Seedling
Reaction score
I live less than 15 minutes away from San Gabriel nursery. Let me you when you swing by and I can show you around.

The trees that I have the most success with in our hot climate are oaks, elms, and ficus. They tolerate the heat well, have minimal pest issues, and are more forgiving. Junipers are pretty solid too but I got hit with spider mites hard, even worse it was when I moved and left my trees under the care of my mom for most of the summer. Dwarf jade can become some pretty crackin bonsai but as with anything it takes a long time. A guy here in the local bonsai scene, Frank Yee, propagates cork bark dwarf jade. As the trees mature and age their bark will look akin to what you see on a cork bark elm. I have one that I've been growing in the ground but its barely beginning to cork.

Here is an awesome (non corking) dwarf jade at the Pacific Bonsai Museum. Anyhow I've been super immersed in bonsai for the past 3-4 years and hope to pursue it professionally in the future. Feel free to ask me anything and I'm sure other nutters here are more than willing to help too.

View attachment 158622

Very nice! That is more or less the look im going for. I chopped the head off mine and repot it. Now I just need to start building the apex!

btw, do you by chance know of any clubs within our area? I'd like to get more involved if possible haha

ekim046

Seedling
Reaction score
i also much prefer the look of the bark on the jade you shared. mine has lines all along the trunk that im kinda hoping will go away one day lol

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
i also much prefer the look of the bark on the jade you shared. mine has lines all along the trunk that im kinda hoping will go away one day lol
Give it a few decades and it'll get there.

Where are you located? There is a lot of clubs in Southern California.

ekim046

Seedling
Reaction score
I just moved out to West Covina from the Walnut area. seems to be a lot more options around here than back where I was from. Garden/ bonsai stores make me feel like a kid in a candy store haha

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Check out this list for clubs:
http://www.gsbfbonsai.org/Articles.asp?ID=258
http://www.gsbfbonsai.org/Articles.asp?ID=259

Not sure if there are meeting held out in West Covina but you find what's close to you from the links I posted. I used to come out to Santa Anita Bonsai Society meetings but it was difficult to attend with college and work. I usually come by shows but I haven't been to a meeting in awhile. The LA arboretum hosts many bonsai shows as well as club meetings.

Top Bottom