Jade Butterfly Ginkgo Pairing

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a fun little follow-up to my RMJ/Avalokiteshvara pairing earlier this year.

This statue is Tibetan, Vajradhara embracing Yingchugma.

The composition was hastily done, and probably could be better, but I was running out of light that evening, and not sure the fall foliage would show so well if I waited a day or so longer. Turned out fairly well, though, IMHO.

Enjoy.

G52

Attachments

• VD:Ginkgo-2.jpg
    VD:Ginkgo-2.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 98

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Enjoy indeed!

Nice ginkgo, unusual shaping, which I love and is a G52 stamp.

Thanks for sharing this.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
A very special ginkgo indeed! And bonsai, being a contempletive art, pairs well with a buddhist image. Something more serene would be from
Theravada or Zen.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A very special ginkgo indeed! And bonsai, being a contempletive art, pairs well with a buddhist image. Something more serene would be from
Theravada or Zen.

Something more serene . . . something more serene . . . why, yes!

How about Yamantaka?

Attachments

• YT-Ginkgo.jpg
    YT-Ginkgo.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 49

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I'm thinking more Kamakura.

Attachments

• kamakura_daibutsu.jpg
    kamakura_daibutsu.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 20

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm thinking more Kamakura.

do-do-lo do-do . . . .
do-do-lo do-do . . . .

do-do-lo-do do-do do-do dooo . . . .
do-do-lo-do do-do do-do doooooo . . . . [“Dueling Nirmanakayas”, in the style of “Dueling Banjos”]

“Subhuti, what do you think? Can the Tathagata be seen by means of the possession of attributes?” (Diamond Sutra, Translation by Red Pine, aka Bill Porter).

Perhaps this discussion is best suited to the Tea House, but I’m content to have it right here under the shade of this ginkgo tree unless folks object. :)

There are very few full-body depictions of the Nirmanakaya (Form Body) of Buddha Shakyamuni (the historical Buddha) from any Buddhist tradition that appeal to me, or that capture his essence, IMO. I have always found the Kamakura Buddha, which I have visited in person, to be very heavy and very, very Japanese, which Buddha was not and which I am not. The closest I get to a satisfying Sakyamuni is my own photo of his wooden bust - shown below - that was given to me and that sits on my altar. It fits well within Hinayana, Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions, IMO. A variation of that photo, BTW, is featured in my book, Simple Meditation.

From more classically Mahayana traditions, other possibly serene photos I’ve taken of Kuan Yin and my cover of Prajnaparamita - also shown below - could be paired with bonsai in a PhotoShopped creation, I imagine. The Standing Kuan Yin is indeed paired with some tree somewhere on BNut, IIRC. It could be considered “serene” I suppose, if such things seem inherently “Buddhist” to people.

I’ve practiced Vajrayana overlaid on Mahayana, however, for 25 years now, so less traditionally “serene” images - such as Vajradhara seen with the ginkgo (and also seen in another aspect in the final photo below), and even Yamantaka, seem entirely serene to me, although perhaps with a type of serenity not familiar to many.

Attachments

• Buddha-BNut.jpg
    Buddha-BNut.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 17
  • KuanYin-BNut.jpg
    KuanYin-BNut.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 16
  • VD-BNut.jpg
    VD-BNut.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Prajnaparamita-BNut.jpg
    Prajnaparamita-BNut.jpg