Jade Butterfly Ginkgo - Three Moods

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Three shots of the same tree, largely unchanged in many ways, 2006, 2008 & 2009 (today).

I don't like ginkgos, generally, but this semi-dwarfed cultivar has very attractive leaves. I saw this at a general nursery, a misshapen thing with it's leader dead and a branch going off at almost right angles. I thoughT i'd try to do something with it. It's given me great pleasure to look at over the few years I've had it, and entirely trouble free. Enjoy. :)

Attachments

• devotion.jpg
    devotion.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 134
  • jbg.jpg
    jbg.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 123
  • JBGinkgo.jpg
    JBGinkgo.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 175

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
No new branches grew on my half barrel planted Tremonia this year,i wonder if it wiil do so next year?

Maybe the stock will throw off the scion and proliferate that way?

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will, IMHO this is a very nice graceful ginkgo and I like it a lot.

Ginkgos are one of my favorite, bonsai or not. i love the light green leaves in spring and yellow leaves in fall. I remember the first time i saw a ginkgo tree 9 years ago at Frank Loyd Wright House and Studio at Oak Park IL., even the smelly fruit did not deter me from liking it. lol.:D

Eric

J W

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I have a few ginko's and they always make me smile. I look forward to the fall they drop all there leaves in one day. The only issue I struggle with is the lack of healing on these tree's when worked with. I have to admit it has really taught me to study it and try to figure out all possabilities before I cut anything...

I'm glad your tree has decided to stop smoking also... (Great pictures)

JW

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's this guy in fall color of intensely golden beauty this year. A bit more shapely in a spare sort of way over the years as well.

Attachments

• JBGinkgoFall10.jpg
    JBGinkgoFall10.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 78

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Great looking tree, Will. What are the dimensions of it? I know Ginkgo leaves don't reduce too well, but since this is a semi-dwarf, how much smaller are the leaves?

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Ryan. It stands a little over a foot tall. Yes, it's a variant with small, delicate leaves, which is why it works so well.

Regular ginkgos - although they seem like they ought to make great bonsai - seldom do, IMO; partly because of the large leaves, and partly their growth habit just doesn't look very elegant in bonsai culture. Attractive ones are a lot more rare than I would expect. That's why I just decided to keep this one as simple as possible.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a wonderful looking tree, thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom