Jade (Crassula Ovata) Issue

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I have a Crassula Ovata that has an area that I think is starting to rot. I'm wondering what I can do to stop it from continuing. I'm guessing I'll need to carve it out a bit, but I realize this can be dangerous to the tree. This was my first attempt at "bonsai" so I'd really like to save this plant.

I believe the issue is that I trimmed a branch back way too much without leaving an internode for die-back. I noticed a "crack" in the bark and I can feel that it's softer than other areas on the sides of that crack. The actual circle where the branch was cut is not rotten - it's just covered in callus.

Here are some pictures of the tree and that specific area. The tree is in otherwise perfect health.
What are my next steps? I was thinking I'd inspect the area by slightly carving it back until I only see hard green areas rather than soft or black areas. Then keep it dry until it calluses over (1 week?)

Attachments

• IMG-0869.jpg
    IMG-0869.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG-0871.jpg
    IMG-0871.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-3351.jpg
    IMG-3351.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 47

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am definitely NOT the person who is going to give you the correct answers, but I’d like to try and assist by asking you a few follow-up questions.

I noticed that in the first picture, it APPEARS slightly that the cracks are originating not only by “chop” but also around the “muffin top” areas which are on the immediate top and bottom of that wire... how long has the wire been there? I know jades retain water given their nature and i have seen fairly quick and varied changes in “swell” (even with the smaller specimens I have).

Since the fractures where first noticed, was care taken to keep those areas dry and clean? Is it possible that the fractures occurred FIRST, THEN had issues with moisture? I have no Idea? .. just trying to throw some questions out there in an attempt to “brainstorm” your issue.. hopefully someone more enlightened will be by shortly.

Also.. I am completely unaware(and curious) of the dynamics of Jade trunk carving...I’m unsure of how those “tissues” heal. :) :)

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.
Yes it's definitely possible that the wires are squeezing the plant and causing an issue. I'm going to remove the wires today. They were there originally to hold the Jade in place, but it has been several months so it should be rooted in place by now.
Unfortunately the cracks are on the backside of the plant where I don't see often. It's possible they've been there for a couple of weeks. We've had some rain recently so they almost certainly got wet.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have also noticed that the jades that I have worked with.. (nothing like what you’ve got there.. mine suck, by comparison) they do a lot of healing/regeneration when they are dry. :)

Top Bottom