Jade design help please

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Been growing trees for two years but when it comes to design im just lost. Idk how to train to get to a shape. My gf wired this and we're both lost, any suggestions on where to start id greatly appreciate.

Attachments

• PXL_20230510_221109535.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20230510_221109535.PORTRAIT.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20230510_221121501.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20230510_221121501.PORTRAIT.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20230510_221132681.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20230510_221132681.PORTRAIT.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 51
  • PXL_20230510_221158038.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20230510_221158038.PORTRAIT.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 60

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hate to make big decisions in design unless the plant is in front of me and I have pruners in my hand.
The plant you have is portulacaria. Though sometimes called a dwarf jade it is not. Jade plants are crassula. Both of these plants are best directionally pruned, clip and grwo. Wire can work but does not work well because these plants don't lignify (form wood).

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I hate to make big decisions in design unless the plant is in front of me and I have pruners in my hand.
The plant you have is portulacaria. Though sometimes called a dwarf jade it is not. Jade plants are crassula. Both of these plants are best directionally pruned, clip and grwo. Wire can work but does not work well because these plants don't lignify (form wood).
That was useful thank you, so wiring is basically pointless?

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Penumbra is right, but as long as the wire is on you may be able to make some gentle curves with it. Your tree has a decent size trunk and good low branches with some movement. Think about how to make it smaller and more compact, with foliage closer to the trunk.

This species buds back very easily. As soon as the weather is warm and it is outside and growing well, you can prune it drastically. And every bit you prune off will root easily, so you can have lots of little elephant bushes/dwarf jades/spekbooms to play with.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Penumbra is right, but as long as the wire is on you may be able to make some gentle curves with it. Your tree has a decent size trunk and good low branches with some movement. Think about how to make it smaller and more compact, with foliage closer to the trunk.

This species buds back very easily. As soon as the weather is warm and it is outside and growing well, you can prune it drastically. And every bit you prune off will root easily, so you can have lots of little elephant bushes/dwarf jades/spekbooms to play with.
How do u usually root these?

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ports can absolutely be wired. Perhaps not as extreme as wood trees but movement can be achieved. Branches benefit most from clip and grow but wire can be used to set primary branch direction.

To the OP -

Fine a trunkline you like, pick some side branches, then remove the rest. Full outdoor sun will provide backbudding and smaller internodes.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The two posts above may seem contradictory, but they are not.

Take photos at eye level of the possible front(s) of your tree. Do sketches on them showing how you want the tree to look and post both photos and sketches here. We can then make meaningful suggestions. But remember, we can only see the tree in two dimensions. Bonsai is a three dimensional art, like sculpture. Only someone who can see the tree in person can make final design decisions.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Sort of depends on your end goal. If you want to turn this into a big beast of a p. afra you can let it keep growing. Definitely cut back all of the longer branches to get tighter foliage.

However, I would probably turn it into 2 different trees that will be "ready" sooner. I'd probably look to cut around this line and then you have 2 trees to work with. Either way your branches have gotten too long and need to be closer in.
1683826618514.png

Little Jade Bonsai on Youtube has some really good p. afra trees. Also Zanestrees on Instagram has some really cool p. afra and videos on how to develop them.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sort of depends on your end goal. If you want to turn this into a big beast of a p. afra you can let it keep growing. Definitely cut back all of the longer branches to get tighter foliage.

However, I would probably turn it into 2 different trees that will be "ready" sooner. I'd probably look to cut around this line and then you have 2 trees to work with. Either way your branches have gotten too long and need to be closer in.
View attachment 487612

Little Jade Bonsai on Youtube has some really good p. afra trees. Also Zanestrees on Instagram has some really cool p. afra and videos on how to develop them.
Yeah I've just let it go so far but this is the type of feedback I want where people show me through doodle so to speak. Thank you much appreciated.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As mentioned above the branches can absolutely be bent with wire. I took these branches from thisScreenshot_20230526-213004~2.png
To this
Screenshot_20230526-212827~2.png
Its was a slooow process. I left the wrapping and wire on for 3 years as its a old tree....20+ years.
The wire has been off for 2 years now and its firmly set.

Top Bottom