Jade loosing leaves

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a once beautiful Jade with a single trunk that I bought at CVS for about $4. It has steadily grown larger and larger until about 2 years ago I repotted it into a mix of crushed granite, pine bark and Haydite. It gradually started losing leaves and has basically never stopped. Its growth slowed almost to a stop, but it's still alive. I have several other trees that didn't like this mix, so I switched it to pumice, pine bark, and Perlite. During repotting I noticed many of the roots had rotted. After repotting it continued to lose leaves, so I asked a couple professional horticulturists who both suggested withholding water and placing it in the shade. I did this late last summer and it did stop losing leaves, but it has never actually started growing again.

I have two questions: When should I start watering again? and will Jade backbud if I cut off all the leaves?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sometimes they backbud, but it isn't a true tree it is a succulent so I would avoid trimming leaves. I have a Jade that is mental in growth. Overwatering damages their roots very easily. I wouldn't put pine bark in the mix. My jade grows in a mix of garden clay, sand, gravel and a bit of garden mix too. I rarely water and it gets a far amount of sun (they are succulents they love sun). I hope that helps (slightly dry is better than too wet).

skrit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm a bit confused, when you say "both suggested withholding water"..."I did this late last summer"... and "When should I start watering again?" It makes me think that maybe you haven't watered the jade since the end of the summer. If so, umm, it's probably thirsty and could use a drink. (it's a 'desert' succulent, but it's not going to go 6 months without water).

I'm guessing that is probably not the case though, and you have probably been watering occasionally, as the leaves don't look dessicated and wrinkled. Your substrate sounds ok and although loosing the pine bark wouldn't be bad, I'm not sure repotting again is a great idea. The yellowing leaves don't seem to be everywhere, mostly at the bottom of your branches, so they may just be old leaves that the tree is shedding, but as suggested by your professional horticulturists, it's likely a watering issue. How often have you been watering it, and how do you check to decide if it needs more water? It looks like you have some 'new' leaves forming at the tips of a couple branches, so it may not be as bad as it looks. (Or maybe they've been there for a while now with no further growth)

In my limited experience, Jades seem to start new growth wherever you wound (prune) them, but don't tend to 'back bud' elsewhere suddenly back down a branch/trunk (maybe very rarely). I wouldn't suggest removing 'all' the leaves or you'll probably end up with a dead plant. Instead, maybe trim some of the growing ends (50%?) back by about half of the green growth. (See attached, but maybe another leaf pair lower on the lefthand one, I marked it a touch high)

How much light is your jade getting and what's the ambient temperature? You probably moved it for pictures, but it looks like it's indoors. It does need good light, and being right near a window will help with that, but there are drawbacks. Being in Ohio, the cold weather can cause the air near windows to get pretty chilly. In my house, right next to the windows can be as much as 15 degrees cooler than the ambient air temp, so maybe 55F or lower. Jades like it pretty warm, and may not put out much growth if they're cold and I understand they will die if they're exposed to sub 40F. Mine's in a little mini-greenhouse in my kitchen right now, and has been pushing growth like crazy all winter, but it's also around 85F in there all day.

TL: DR - Tell us a bit more about where you keep the plant (i.e. ambient conditions) and how often you water it, and I'm sure more folks will chime in.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Plantermunn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you change the angel that the light strikes them to often it can cause leaves to drop.

Top Bottom