Jade multiple trunks splitting?

Keithconn

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello all

Someone gave me this jade which was just unwanted and not cared for. It healthy and in good shape. To make into some Bonsai should I break up the multiple trunks and plant separately? Will it survive that? Or better off keeping as a cluster and developing a unified canopy?

looking for some advice from the more experienced… which at this point is anyone! 😜F30E78E8-9A4E-4A4E-90FB-C01DCF061E4D.jpeg

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
I would break it up. These plants are very hard to kill, in fact, you cut a stem throw it in soil and it will root, no problem. I give rooted cuttings away as gifts since they are so easy to grow.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I would separate them, then cut each one way back, you need some leaves closer to the trunks. Make cuttings from the leftovers. It looks like it is in regular potting soil, no good. As @Arizona bonsai said, you can kill them with too much water.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Jades are tough, and propagate easily! However, I wonder why all the leaves are on the soil and not on the branches?

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
The leaves fall off like that if it is not getting enough sun or haven't been watered in a long time. It also happens if you do an aggressive root prune but it just regrows leaves once the roots have developed. When you root cuttings, you have to wait till the leaves look a little droopy before you water. It gives the cut time to callous off and prevent root rot. Also, no cut paste!

Keithconn

Yamadori
Reaction score
Leaves are from me pruning. Sorry should have noticed that.

so to be clear, can I separate all of these and repot in bonsai soil? Will they survive the upheaval? To the best of your knowledge obviously…

I don’t have a bunch of bonsai shallow pots so I’ll just use some nursery pots cut down for now. Good?

thanks again for the support!!

Top Bottom