Jade ROR

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had a well rooted cutting and a rock I liked, so I figured why not give it a try and see what happens. My hope is that eventually the cotton cloth will break down and expose the roots. It may take a few years, so before then it should be covered in moss.
DSCF8373.jpg
DSCF8435.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Jason Schley wrapped this winged elm in raffia. Unsure when he started it. But sat two years on my bench with my reapplying once a year. But burying it is the more common route. Did you still bind the roots in the rock with something else then?
image.jpg

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I buried it as is. From what I could tell, at this point the roots are fine and more of a mat. I’m hoping some roots grow deep and thicken up. I’ll take it apart in the spring and have a look.

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So I missed my yearly update on this. Thanks, cbrshadow23, for reminding me.
This past summer I slip potted it, and raised it up higher. When I brought it in this last fall I trimmed the foliage back about 50%.
so for now I’m letting the soil erode from the roots naturally, and keeping it trimmed.
33B13952-9168-435E-84CF-50E784FDAB06.jpeg

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, how I miss quartz rock. Gotta try import a few pieces when I go home again.

I’m doing something similar with a jade, but I’m keeping my tree big, then I’ll downsize it later to get my proportions right

Top Bottom