Jades run amok... now I have

BajaKen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
A few years ago a member of the household ordered a variety of succulents, among them two types of Jades. He soon lost interest, but essentially the plants did not seem impressive, were ignored as we weren't around much and when we were, still did not pay attention other than to give them some water. The Portulacaria Afra grew and I developed a recent interest in Bonsai. I recognized I had to remove the several plants that were overgrown and stuck in the dirt of an inappropriate concrete pot. Digging it up was a brutal experience for the Port I am sure. Here's my question: Partially buried was a rather large root, that is quite attractive, so I've left it mostly exposed. Now I'm starting to worry that's a bad move. It's been a week since the move, and it's already sprouting new buds. Is it okay to leave the root exposed?

Attachments

• IMG_3446.jpeg
    IMG_3446.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 27

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Gnarly effin Crazy!

Bad move for horticultural reasons or aestheticals?
😉

I believe it is the age of an old tree, which we are trying to simulate, that makes their roots equal size.
Larger growth period, larger margin for "error"(nature doesn't make mistakes!), Resulting in a rather uniform in size set of visible roots.

While when just young, one root, as here, may run off and get Large, throwing off the image of an old tree.

So while I don't wish to change what you find "attractive", I do wish you to see what this end goal is, so you may successfully enjoy your attractive, yet display in a manner that will keep viewers interested as well.

Something about how we hate hearing our own recorded voices, this too takes getting used to.

Sorce

BajaKen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Thanks for the responses... two good considerations. I certainly don't want to damage the tree's health. I've got a Jade Money Tree that I will have to do something with, and for the same reasons. Building up the courage! It's amazing how haphazard we handled this in the beginning, and how great they have turned out!

Thanks again!

Top Bottom