Jap maple sprouting early

Natty Bumppo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kept my bonsai in the attached garage this winter. Been watering weekly, give or take. Noticed a week ago the Japanese maple had broke buds already. Overnight temps in the upper teens outside last couple nights so I brought it into the kitchen. I've got little leaves now on 2-3" new branches.
This is my first overwinter for this maple. Got it mail order as a tall twig in a pint sized pot last spring. Moved it into a gallon container and wired some bends in it when new last year. Are these maples early sprouters or is this an anomaly?
Weather warming up tomorrow. All my little trees will be going outside this week. They're all temperate species.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Kept my bonsai in the attached garage this winter. Been watering weekly, give or take. Noticed a week ago the Japanese maple had broke buds already. Overnight temps in the upper teens outside last couple nights so I brought it into the kitchen. I've got little leaves now on 2-3" new branches.
This is my first overwinter for this maple. Got it mail order as a tall twig in a pint sized pot last spring. Moved it into a gallon container and wired some bends in it when new last year. Are these maples early sprouters or is this an anomaly?
Weather warming up tomorrow. All my little trees will be going outside this week. They're all temperate species.

They break bud when they experience ABOUT 2/3 weeks on days that get into the 40's. (I think it ends up being like 48 TOTAL hours above 40 STARTS the process)

You may have to 2-step until your frost warnings are over.

ALSO!!!

PLEASE REFRAIN from using the term, "Jap"...

I spent a lot of time with WWII vets... American and Japanese...

And it is not a "sensible term"...

The only "vets" that even still use it are harboring hate.

🤓

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Once a Maple’s chilling requirements are met, they’ll start growing when temperatures are around 40°F. A few days consistently above 40°F and they will burst into growth. Now, you need to have your maple outside in full sun when it is warm enough, meaning 35°F or warmer. Protect from frost and freezes as needed. Next year, I’d recommend being a little more on top of the temperatures inside your garage… The goal is to keep them had a consistent temperature in the mid to low 30s throughout the winter and into spring if you can.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It normally wouldn't break bud that early but attached garages are going to be significantly warmer than a detached one receiving no ambient heat from your home. To prevent that in the future you might need to formulate some outdoor overwintering strategies like a cold frame, placing on the ground and mulching over it, something to that effect.

Top Bottom