Japanee Larch winter look

_-ll-_

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I bought a Japanese Larch, planted it in the garden early 2011 growing season. It was well cared for, watered,fertilized, plenty of sun. This fall it started looking weak like it was about to die. The needles turned a light brown color and I don't know if it has died or not. Do the larch needles turn for autum?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, larch is a deciduous conifer - meaning that it drops its leaves in the fall. Though its leaves look like needles, they aren't :) It should come back in the spring!

_-ll-_

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Thank you, I was at a loss to understand why it looked as it did.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What zone are you living in? Japanese larch are not hardy in all zones. American larch are winter hardy down to zone 2, but Japanese larch are really only down to about zone 6 I think.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What zone are you living in? Japanese larch are not hardy in all zones. American larch are winter hardy down to zone 2, but Japanese larch are really only down to about zone 6 I think.

Actually, Japanese larch is hardy to USDA zone 4. The larches most commonly seen in bonsai culture- American, European, and Japanese- are all very cold hardy. It is their general dislike for long, hot summers that diminish their range (Pseudolarix seems to be more heat tolerant). By the way, there is a Larix laricina bonsai in the collection at the North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville, NC. Granted, the elevation at the arboretum is about 2,300 feet, which must be a benefit, but they can survive in the south in select locations.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Actually, Japanese larch is hardy to USDA zone 4.

Even in pot culture? I had read zone 5, and always thought that you had to add a zone for pot culture hardiness. Would be good to know if this is in error, so I can treat my J. larch accordingly. I may be babying it a bit...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood you. When I said the tree was hardy to zone 4, I was referring to it's use as a landscape tree. In USDA zone 5, I would provide at least some winter protection for all of my potted cold hardy trees, even trees such as Rocky Mountain Juniper, which are listed as USDA zone 3.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood you. When I said the tree was hardy to zone 4, I was referring to it's use as a landscape tree. In USDA zone 5, I would provide at least some winter protection for all of my potted cold hardy trees, even trees such as Rocky Mountain Juniper, which are listed as USDA zone 3.

Thanks for the clarification.... I think that may have been the intent of the original poster, as they do indeed have it in the ground. I have a cold greenhouse that most of my trees spend the winter in, except for the ones who really need the very cold season.

_-ll-_

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I am in Kentucky, it is either Zone 6 or 7, depending on where in the state you are located.

Reaction score
In Australia we have the opposite problem. Finding a larch that will tolerate the mild winter and hot summer. So far the Larch most widely used is the Japanese Larch . It is hardy in Melbourne, probably equivalent to San Fransisco, but wont live in Sydney, probably equivalent to LA.

Grant

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
you should update your profile to show that, so people will know how to respond to your questions... Good luck with your larch!

Top Bottom