Japanes maple opinions sought

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a maple about 30 inches tall with a nice 3 inch trunk and good nebari. I like small trees and could make at least 3 or 4 good trees out of this stock. The back branch will make one, it really has to go due to the angle, but the main tree has a few options. What would you do ? First pic is the front, then from the side, then back. Thanks for your opinions.

Attachments

• 904.jpg
    904.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 128

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
side view of this tree, back branch should be a nice tree to layer.

Attachments

• 905.jpg
    905.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 74

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
back view of the same tree. thanks again for your opinions.

Attachments

• 906.jpg
    906.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 62

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
If it were me I would airlayer or cut off at the redline in the photo below. I would use the shorter branch as the new tree and change the planting angle a bit. This gives you a tree with more movement, ramification, and an overall better tree than the leaving the taller tree. You would have 10x the tree in a much shorter period of time.

Just my thoughts..... :)

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. I am always trying to make the smallest tree possible. I think I can layer two more nice ones as well. Thanks for your opinions.

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
that is diameter at the base, why do you ask ?

I guess I'm just trying to make sense of proportions in pictures. I have a maple that has a 2.5 inch trunk that was a chop from a tree that was about 8 feet high. It looked almost just like that picture proportionally...at 8 feet high.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Three inches in circumference would be about 7/8 inch across.

Three inches across would make that a very large bonsai pot.

Need a reference in the picture to offer proportion, a soda pop can is 2.5 inches across ( or 2.5 inches in diameter ), that is why it is used a lot in bonsai photo's.

My maple here is only 24 inches tall with a trunk just over three inches at the base. Just looking at the picture compared to yours looks very different.

Attachments

• DSC_0024a0001.JPG
    DSC_0024a0001.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 906.jpg
    906.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well maybe the picture is not at a good angle. The trunk at the base is 3 inches in diameter. About three inches up from there it is about 2 3/4 inches in diameter. The tree with shoots is maybe 36 -40 inches tall. It is in a very large mica training pot, almost 2 feet across.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Jason, kinda like this?

That was the first thing I saw in the tree when it was posted too. It creates nice taper and movement. This has a lot of potential!

If it's hard for people to grasp the scale, it already has good proportions and is well on the way to the the bonsai "illusion"!

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another picture is not necessary for me, I guess what I'm getting at is the height/diameter ratio. While yours looks proportional to me in the picture, your numbers are off (according to the 1 to 6 ratio though I don't want to get into another rules discussion here). Smoke's tree's numbers are closer and looks more like what I see in pictures normally, eventhough his is over 6 inches higher than it should be...technically. I guess if I could get another picture, I'd love to see it in leaf.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Three inches in circumference would be about 7/8 inch across.

Did you mean to say 3 " across(diameter) would be 7/8" circumference? Circumference is usually 3.14 times the diameter(3") = 9.42" circumference.

Just pickin on ya for the fun of it, being that you are the carpenter and I am a teacher:) I am compelled to correct the formula.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you mean to say 3 " across(diameter) would be 7/8" circumference? Circumference is usually 3.14 times the diameter(3") = 9.42" circumference.

Just pickin on ya for the fun of it, being that you are the carpenter and I am a teacher:) I am compelled to correct the formula.

It's early Friday morning and my coffee hasn't kicked in, but isn't Al's formula correct?

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al is correct, and the tree is 3 inches in diameter. I just measured it. About 2 inches above the base it is 2 3/4 inches in diameter.

Top Bottom