Japanese Apricot from seed

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rad! Gently give it a larger pot if you want to thicken it up :)

You’re doing well to keep it alive.

Mine is about to bloom. Please post pics when yours does!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Cute, give it ten years! it'll be a sight and have a great history!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Size of the seed would give a clue as to whether or not the seed was Ume or culinary apricot. Ume fruit are smaller than an apricot, the seed is closer to the size of a cherry stone (seed) than a culinary apricot seed.

Otherwise you have to wait for flowers to be certain.

Uncertainty around identity, is one reason seed from a company with a brick & mortar address, and a reputation for good provenance, and fresh viable seed is worth the higher price. Fresh seed should have given you 4 or more sprouting for a pack of 6 seeds.

But this is just for fun, and you have done well with your seedling, so far.

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
By the way, culinary apricot bloom later than Ume, but they still bloom before foliage appears. They make similarly lovely bonsai. The later bloom means in North America, you can winter them outdoors and get to see flowers, as they usually will wait to bloom until after the last hard freeze, well usually 4 out of 5 years. Where ume will bloom before last freeze, requiring us to do the "in and out dance" or have a frost free greenhouse 4 out of 5 years.

Ume bloom almost a month earlier than culinary apricot. It makes a difference. In SW Michigan the blooming sequence is short, most fruit starts blooming within a 3 week period, usually first is culinary apricot and plums, then blueberries, cherries and peaches, then the early apples start. It is a sight to drive the same road over the course of 2 or 3 weeks and see the changes, as fields burst into color.

Last edited:

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My 4 year old apricot died spring ‘20. It’s leaves came out just fine, they wilted, and that was the end. I was pretty bummed.
So now I’m starting over from the beginning.. this time I will no fail..

P1100984.jpeg

Top Bottom