Japanese apricot Mume in Ny area

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
hello all. I want to acquire my first flowering bonsai and I would love to get my hands on a Mume. My question is, how will they respond to the NY weather? Winters are around low 25-30F and high 50F at times. Do I keep them outdoors during the winter or do I bring them inside?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Outside.

You can bring them in for a few days to enjoy the flowers, but they need to be outside.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
From Evergreen Gardenworks

"Growing mume is problematic for many people including us. After a long hiatus, we are attempting to grow it again. The basic problem is that they are very susceptible to spring freezes. Their early flowering means that they are active very early in the spring. Any hard freeze after flowering begins induces small freeze damage cracks along the branches that are invaded by spring fungal diseases. Often these diseases are fatal to the tree, but if not fatal, large branches can be lost. We now have a large greenhouse that will allow us to overwinter a few stock plants and hopefully a yearly supply of smaller plants for sale. Mume will perform best in areas that are mild in winter, and that once warm, stay warm without spring frost danger. Dry weather in spring also helps with the control of fungal diseases. Some disease control is possible with fungicides, especially fixed copper, but repeated applications will be necessary. Fortunately, mume grow quite well in containers with frequent repotting and this allows them to be moved into a protected area temporarily in spring. An overwintering cold greenhouse is ideal for them, such as a covered porch or traditional greenhouse."

With that said, I have a few and I'm in your zone. I have some in the ground that I am growing out and one in a pot. Once i notice buds on the one in the pot getting ready to open i protect it from freezes.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
From Evergreen Gardenworks

"Growing mume is problematic for many people including us. After a long hiatus, we are attempting to grow it again. The basic problem is that they are very susceptible to spring freezes. Their early flowering means that they are active very early in the spring. Any hard freeze after flowering begins induces small freeze damage cracks along the branches that are invaded by spring fungal diseases. Often these diseases are fatal to the tree, but if not fatal, large branches can be lost. We now have a large greenhouse that will allow us to overwinter a few stock plants and hopefully a yearly supply of smaller plants for sale. Mume will perform best in areas that are mild in winter, and that once warm, stay warm without spring frost danger. Dry weather in spring also helps with the control of fungal diseases. Some disease control is possible with fungicides, especially fixed copper, but repeated applications will be necessary. Fortunately, mume grow quite well in containers with frequent repotting and this allows them to be moved into a protected area temporarily in spring. An overwintering cold greenhouse is ideal for them, such as a covered porch or traditional greenhouse."

With that said, I have a few and I'm in your zone. I have some in the ground that I am growing out and one in a pot. Once i notice buds on the one in the pot getting ready to open i protect it from freezes.
These are actually very winter hardy but break dormancy when freezing weather is still a probability. In NY, you'd want to keep it outside, pot mulched, and as cold as possible- frozen solid is good- until it starts to push leaves...then you'd want to keep it outside as well, but not let it experience temps lower then freezing.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dave have you had freezes ruin flower buds?

I have not yet had issues with leaves pushing and freezes returning but want to say i remember hard freezes killing off flower buds on my ones in the ground.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Dave have you had freezes ruin flower buds?

I have not yet had issues with leaves pushing and freezes returning but want to say i remember hard freezes killing off flower buds on my ones in the ground.
No, I haven't lost buds of any sort due to freeze damage, but I live in a slightly milder climate then you. I did, however, have an ume in a pot that lost it's apex and nearly croaked a few years ago, most likely from the issues Brent has encountered. It's been in the ground for a few years and is growing like a weed again.

Reaction score
Strange all the info I have in the UK says winter hardy but liable to loose branches and flowers , Now I am talking perhaps minus 5C guess it gets much colder in NY. Mine go under glass no heating and I have no problems

Top Bottom