Japanese Beech ( Fagus crenata)

newby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I just bought a very nice Japanese beech, about 18" high and well branched. So pleased! It's very pot bound in a one gallon container, tho, and we are heading into winter here in Ontario. I'm wondering whether it is safe to repot now or better to leave til the spring?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Spring. I’d imagine there’s not much time until winter comes in Ontario…

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What Colorado said.
Wait until spring just as the buds start to swell

newby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sounds great, love to see a pic!
I'll see if I can manage to load a picture. If anyone is in Toronto, the funny little bonsai shop on Spadina had several for sale at VERY reasonable price. I paid $30 for mine- a real steal.

newby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My apologies for late pictures- my phone with photos died! I'll see if I can figure out how to post. The photo with big and little leaves is of my trees leaves compared to a Fagus grandiflora (American beech ) from the woods
Canada Bonsai- yes, the shop was China Arts on Spadina. He had 3 more of these a month ago.

Attachments

• 20220925_103302.jpg
    20220925_103302.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20221011_165343.jpg
    20221011_165343.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220925_103106.jpg
    20220925_103106.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 59

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beech require root protection in winter.

newby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm very embarassed!
Canada Bonsai thinks this NOT Fagus crenata. I was told it was a Japanese beech, so could it be a Fagus japonica? The leaves are definitely beech, just a lot smaller. They do not feel like those of the hornbeam, and the edges are not toothed. The buds are the typical beech type, long and pointed This is a photo of the bark, altho it doesn't look very helpful for identification purposes.
Anybody have any ideas? In the end, of course, it doesn't matter as I work on it. I'll simply call it a little beech!
I also misnamed the American beech, should be grandifolia, not grandiflora. I'm obviously not at my best today.

Attachments

• 20220925_103317.jpg
    20220925_103317.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fagus crenata and Fagus japonica both go by the common name of Japanese beach. In fact, I am fairly certain that crenata is what people usually plant as Japanese beach. At least from what I have seen at nurseries, that seems to be the case in this area.

newby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My so-called Japanese beech is not. The tree came through the winter fine buried in my vegetable garden. The buds looked like a beech, but now the leaves are out I think it's a hornbeam instead. I was looking forward to those silky light green leaves, but they are dark green, thicker and textured. Oh well- it's still a nice tree.

Natty Bumppo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the 90's I ordered a bare root American beech from a catalog nursery (pre-internet) & planted it in my yard. After a couple years I kept wondering when it would get the typical, very long buds of a beech. Eventually I figured it was a musclewood/Carpinus. In addition, a black cherry I planted around the same time turned out to be American plum. It happens.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My so-called Japanese beech is not. The tree came through the winter fine buried in my vegetable garden. The buds looked like a beech, but now the leaves are out I think it's a hornbeam instead. I was looking forward to those silky light green leaves, but they are dark green, thicker and textured. Oh well- it's still a nice tree.
When it came out of the bud stage did it send out several leaves from that bud? If it was a beech the buds are certainly very distinct and far different than hornbeams. I think it is a beech. Some beech have darker green and thicker leaves, like European beech. I would say that may be what you have.

newby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
When it came out of the bud stage did it send out several leaves from that bud? If it was a beech the buds are certainly very distinct and far different than hornbeams. I think it is a beech. Some beech have darker green and thicker leaves, like European beech. I would say that may be what you have.
I rechecked this morning, and actually the leaves are much more beech like now they have properly emerged. They just didn't do that very pale stage that I'm used to. It needs repotting now!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I rechecked this morning, and actually the leaves are much more beech like now they have properly emerged. They just didn't do that very pale stage that I'm used to. It needs repotting now!

If the leaves are already out, it's probably too late.

As we stated above, repotting should be done as the buds begin to swell not after the leaves emerge.

You're at least a month late

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Some trees you can get away with repotting after leaf, but beech is not one of them. Wait till next year.

Top Bottom