Japanese beetle control

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use a systemic insecticide on all my trees shortly after they come out of dormancy. I used it in April this year and I'm finding dead beetles around my trees daily now. Keeps me from having to spray all the time. Also keeps the aphids off my crape myrtles.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Bifenthrin is one if the best for Japanese beetle. Control Solutions Inc

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Systemic insecticides do not reliably kill borer (beetle) larvae!

Systemic products are absorbed into the tissue, along with water, which travels upward through the inner tissue of the trunk. Beetle larvae feed on the outer layers of the trunk tissue in which downward nutrient flow occurs. There’s not a lot of diffusion of systemic insecticides down through the cambium.

This is important: to kill borer larvae with systemics they would have to be used at egregiously high rates and frequencies. A more reliable and less harmful (to you and your surroundings) method is to use sticky traps to bait adults and also to look for signs of borer infestations and manually remove them.

Source: Ryan Neil.

Examples:

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Systemic insecticides definitely work well for trees To control boring insects; one just needs to apply correctly. Drench applications or trunk applications with the addition of products like pentrabark will get the job done.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just to clarify, japanese beetles do not bore into the trunks of your trees. They munch on the leaves,, and systemics work very well to kill them. The larvae live in the ground and feed on the roots of your grass. There is a product called milky spore that can be applied to your lawn to control the grubs. This will also help get rid of moles and voles.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use Bayer Advanced. Complete Insect Killer.....the concentrated solution that I mix as needed. Rainproof and watering proof after one hour. It’s worked well for me. I use it as an above ground leaf, branch and trunk spray. Drips into the substrate and helps there also. I’ve not had any problem with tree health using this....and I see the fallen insects regularly. I’ve not had any Japanese Beetle problems, or other insect problems, while using this spray. I mix it into my smaller handheld Mondi brand spray container for about 15 trees in boxes. It has worked well for about 10 years now and still works perfect. I use a larger sprayer when covering trees growing in a ground area. Those larger sprayers just don’t seem to last as long as my trusty handheld Mondi though.

For an unknown reason....something in the system is preventing me from attaching photos of the product and sprayer. The photos from my photo library go through the load process motions here but then just cross-out with a line through the attachment as if not there. Oh well. No photo posting for awhile.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Would using a systemic potentially kill good insects like spiders and ladybird beetles?

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
For those looking to avoid systemic I have great results with spinosad both bonsai and landscape trees. I spray trees for a living and use all kinds of pesticides but I always prefer the least invasive approach and safest chemicals for myself, environment, clients and trees.

Top Bottom