Japanese Black and Red Pine candle tips browning?

jd_bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What is the cause of this browning of 30% of terminal shoots turning brown? Once I pinch these weakened tips off, the plant tissue is mushy.
Too much water? Probably.
Imperfect (not proper bonsai substrate)? Probably.
These are 2 year old pines.
Happening on both JBP and JRP.

(JBP-1 gallon container. I would prefer to put these in colanders . maybe this fall?)

Attachments

• 20190512_104845.jpg
    20190512_104845.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 76

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Have you checked for larvae?
I have 2-5 larvae digging away in the buds of my 25 pines every year. I think in my case they're sawfly larvae.

Watering and substrate issues would show through the entire plant in most cases.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What is the cause of this browning of 30% of terminal shoots turning brown? Once I pinch these weakened tips off, the plant tissue is mushy.
Too much water? Probably.
Imperfect (not proper bonsai substrate)? Probably.
These are 2 year old pines.
Happening on both JBP and JRP.

(JBP-1 gallon container. I would prefer to put these in colanders . maybe this fall?)

Possibilities i can think of are pine tip moth, adelgid, or tip blight. Tip moth seems most likely- look for larvae as suggested.

S

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
After you're thoroughly depressed from your research you were pointed to above, check out systemic insecticides, and imidacloprid if you can find it ...and avoid any harm to bees by applying it. (I only use it on conifers, but I've learned to apply early or late.)

Top Bottom