Japanese Black Pine - Apex Styling

Alittleoldman

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Everyone,

I'm having some trouble styling the apex of this Japanese Black Pine. The thick branch at the top right before the apex I feel distracts from the actual apex of the tree. However, those branches are very leggy with no needles for back budding. I plan to try to induce some back budding over the next few seasons if I'm lucky. Or, should I remove the top right branch and keep the top two current branches as the apex? Also would appreciate any other styling tips!

Attachments

• IMG_2793.jpeg
    IMG_2793.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2795.jpeg
    IMG_2795.jpeg
    362.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2797.jpeg
    IMG_2797.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 87

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'd get rid of that thick upper branch. It is already growing opposite another one, has no close buds or shoots and not likely to.
I know it looks like that will leave a hole in the tree but remaining branches will grow and thicken to fill the spaces. While it is still there that branch will slow development of better placed branches.
Good luck with back budding. It can be a frustrating project on overgrown pines like this. Maybe do some research on grafting pines as a backup in case some just won't produce new buds.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cut back to first branch and start new tree with some trunk movement☺️. Also many would advocate removing bunch of snaking roots in front eventually. Not necessarily I.

Top Bottom