Japanese Black Pine (Bare Root)

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I know there's a similar thread posted on bare rooting right now. I repotted a JBP the other day which i'd bought from a monrovia garden center in virginia. The roots were black and guey and "rotting." The trees needles appeared healthy though. I cut off the black mushy rotting roots and only left the healthy roots "barely any". So far I see no ill effects from the transplant but i'm a bit worried based on the other thread up on bnut right now. Would you all suggest tenting the tree? I'd be worried this could instigate some kind of fungal infection. The needles all still appear a nice green color.

Thanks
Ben

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I was actually going to post in that other thread that I HAVE bare rooted several conifers....but they were usually already in distress and clearly had root issues that were threatening the life of the tree and needed to be dealt with immediately. As far as your tree was concerned, it sounds like you had no choice but to do what you did. It will, of course, be weeks to months before you know if you were successful. Personally, I wouldn't tent the pine. I think your biggest concern will be over-waterng, which is easy to do when the roots are minimal or compromised. I'd give it a descent amount of sun, keep it out of the wind, and don't let it freeze. Good luck.

Last edited:

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks for the encouraging story, I've kept it in the shade since last weekend. I will move it to the sun this weekend, kept it in a shady spot this week.

Ben

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's still pretty cold in Brooklyn, isn't it?

I'd put it in full sun, but don't let it freeze.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It's still pretty cold in Brooklyn, isn't it?

I'd put it in full sun, but don't let it freeze.

Just saw this now while looking through the pine threads. The tree bounced back and I'm encouraged. It's not that cold here anymore around 32 at night and 45-55 during the day. I have a cold house that doesn't fall below freezing. Inside the cold house most days it gets up to around 60 with the sun warming it. Nights stay around 40 from the stored heat.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I used a product called hygrozyme on the roots. Looks like it removed any of the residual rot. Was pretty impressed with it.

Top Bottom