japanese black pine "corticosa" restoration

syon_r

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Is it necessary for a cork bark black pine to have a good nebari? I purchased a pre bonsai of the cultivar “Ondae”, and while the graft is at the root stock, there is not really any nebari below the graft. However there is a bulge at the graft point. Should I bury up to there? I saw this tree doesn’t really have nebari but still looks really good.

Reaction score
This graft is low and well done. I can set the wings just at soil level, so i'm happy with it. I've never seen one with a good nebari but they might exist. A cork bark pine is special enough to grab attention without a good nebari and thus this is most of the time not the focal point. Placing a graft union above soil level look silly in my opinion. Can you start a thread with photo's of your tree? I think some experts (certainly not me) might chime in and give you some solid advice. I do know some corkers might be layered, but potting the tree deeper in the pot might just do it.

syon_r

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This graft is low and well done. I can set the wings just at soil level, so i'm happy with it. I've never seen one with a good nebari but they might exist. A cork bark pine is special enough to grab attention without a good nebari and thus this is most of the time not the focal point. Placing a graft union above soil level look silly in my opinion. Can you start a thread with photo's of your tree? I think some experts (certainly not me) might chime in and give you some solid advice. I do know some corkers might be layered, but potting the tree deeper in the pot might just do it.
Sure. It’s in the ground for winter and I can start a thread in spring. I made some mistakes my first year with it and forgot to sift my soil before repotting. Now the soil is almost mush when wet so, since the tree is young, I will do a repot into a colander with better soil. I will probably plant the tree deeper in the pot like you are suggesting and I will make a thread about the repotting.

Reaction score
@MichaelS , that is an interesting point you make. Thank you. I'll have to think about it a bit longer then. Normally trees are designed with the trunk, first branch and apex in the same direction. Whenever they don't agree there is tension created. There always is a thin line where things become awkward. When looking at the trunk-line, it does start at the left, starting a left movement. When removing the left branch, there would be a right first branch and a right apex. My question is, is the trunk strong and rugged enough to hold the visual weight? I don't know and i would like to hear more opinions about it. This is the reason i'm on a forum i guess. Being triggered to think more before i come with the saw. THANK YOU.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would absolutely not remove that left branch! It's the best branch on the tree. IMO
I agree, @dirk hoorelbeke .
As it is presently, the left branch above forms an enclosed 'window'/void that makes it the focus of the tree - my eye is drawn to the bark in that area & I am entranced/captivated looking there. You could remove the upper left branch (that comes down left) to 'open' this feature - the lower left branch still has its magic, but now my attention shifts toward the apical structure. Without it, meh, nice tree.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@MichaelS , that is an interesting point you make. Thank you. I'll have to think about it a bit longer then. Normally trees are designed with the trunk, first branch and apex in the same direction. Whenever they don't agree there is tension created. There always is a thin line where things become awkward. When looking at the trunk-line, it does start at the left, starting a left movement. When removing the left branch, there would be a right first branch and a right apex. My question is, is the trunk strong and rugged enough to hold the visual weight? I don't know and i would like to hear more opinions about it. This is the reason i'm on a forum i guess. Being triggered to think more before i come with the saw. THANK YOU.
I would suggest a compromise. Remove the lower portion of the upper left branch. Leave the lower left branch. In my view that creates a more unified look with interesting character. The lower left branch follows the trunk movement with interest and then there is enough negative space on the left to transition to the apex. The result seems a bit more unified to me.

Reaction score
This becomes very interesting. Thank you for your insights. I'll keep the branch and try to incorporate it in the design.

Reaction score
Still have no clue about removing the lower left branch. The tree is a little less vigorous than last year but i thinned the needles to even things out.
IMG_0080.JPG

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would absolutely not remove that left branch! It's the best branch on the tree. IMO

Agreed but for different reason. Remove lowest branch on outside of bend will make tree look very bare/perhaps off balance for some number of years. Also next low branch grows on straight part or inside bend and would be more obvious with left one gone. Consideration of different front;)?

Reaction score
There is a strong inclination and bend to the front. An other front is not possible. Removing the lower branch will give the tree a slender look and I don't know how good this matches the rugged bark. That branch is slightly to the back and would be less than optimal to use as first branch. Thanks for the extra insight.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I would keep the branch; shorten and wire it out so its not the lowest branch on the tree. It does look denser than the rest of the tree, so you can address that by pulling needles until it’s in balance with the rest of the tree. Nice corker.

Reaction score
No needle plucking last 2 years in case I remove it, I would try layering it. (Knowing the close to sure failure...). I will try wiring more upward just in case. Thanks for thinking along.

Top Bottom