Japanese black pine deformed seedlings

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’m having a problem with my new JBP seedlings, and I wasn’t able to find an answer through Search.

As you can see in the first picture, there’s a big curve at the bottom of the stem. Within 2-3 days, that curve shrivels up, and the seedlings die. The second picture shows this.

Thanks in advance for any explanations or help!
A92C17BE-0251-43C3-A095-37AE8B8AAE42.jpeg
78E5FE2A-409A-4D78-B0E1-138D6405211B.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good luck! I tried seedlings from some local loblolly pines just for the heck of it this year and they only got a little farther along than yours before dying off. Way more difficult to keep seedlings alive than I was expecting and kudos to you if you can do it!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For what it is worth.
Pine seedlings really need full sun for good growth that resists fungal infection. The UV in natural sunlight also helps kill fungi.

Air movement, if they are not outside, a fan blowing across the pots will help keep fungal issues at bay. It doesn't have to be a direct breeze, just enough to get grassy leaves waving a bit. They can tolerate a steady 5+ mph breeze, they get that in nature.

It is difficult to raise pine seedlings indoors, fungal infection will almost always do them in.

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
FWIW I have had success starting seedlings indoors, but I spray with H202 once a week.

Top Bottom