Japanese Black Pine Design Options

Which do you prefer, tall or short?

• Total voters

david in LA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I picked this Japanese Black Pine up around 2 weeks ago. From what I see I have 2 options;
1. Keep it at it's current height and start developing/refining it.
2. Chop it roughly half way to create a shohin sized tree.

Just looking for everyone's opinions as I'd be happy with either options, or any other options. For size reference, the base is roughly 3.5" wide and the tree is 14.5" tall.

Attachments

• Tall.jpg
    Tall.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 150
  • Short.jpg
    Short.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 111
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 122

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
To me you have nice taper and movement in the trunk, it'd be a shame to chop it all off to create a shohin size tree out of this one. I'd keep it tall and try to develop from there. You can always chop it later but you can't glue it back on!

Nice looking tree, where'd you buy it from??

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't know much yet, but it seems as the intended line following the last trunk chop is this.

1686161774141.png

Decent line, I don't know if I would consider shortening it that low as mentioned above. I would wire out the branches with the structure you have now and if you don't like it go from there.

david in LA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
To me you have nice taper and movement in the trunk, it'd be a shame to chop it all off to create a shohin size tree out of this one. I'd keep it tall and try to develop from there. You can always chop it later but you can't glue it back on!

Nice looking tree, where'd you buy it from??
I picked up the tree at California Bonsai Studio. They have group meetings/workshops on the weekends, but they're at times I can't make, so I'm asking for opinions here!

david in LA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I don't know much yet, but it seems as the intended line following the last trunk chop is this.

View attachment 492575

Decent line, I don't know if I would consider shortening it that low as mentioned above. I would wire out the branches with the structure you have now and if you don't like it go from there.
I didn't think of this route. So pull the top left down, and develop the right as a crown?

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I picked up the tree at California Bonsai Studio. They have group meetings/workshops on the weekends, but they're at times I can't make, so I'm asking for opinions here!
I feel ashamed. I could probably walk there from my house and have yet to check it out. I may have to go this weekend.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree. option 1 For me. I like the height and wouldn’t shorten it. I would Decandle, wire and repeat for next few years, bet it shapes up nice.

david in LA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I feel ashamed. I could probably walk there from my house and have yet to check it out. I may have to go this weekend.
They had a couple more "refined" pre-bonsai black pines while I was there, but also a lot more rougher material growing in the ground. There was a lot of nice pomegranate pre-bonsai as well.

I had picked up another fat black pine when I was there, but that's a ways out.

Jealous you're so close to them!
Seriously, I had to drive 1.5hrs because of the weekend traffic just to visit them.

Attachments

• IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 109

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Low down seems several branches at or near same level. Choice must be made what to get rid of:(. For best development.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I didn't think of this route. So pull the top left down, and develop the right as a crown?

The last sacrifice removed left the stump in the red circle, eliminate that and cover with cut paste. Carve the cambium around the yellow line for a decent transition with the next section of trunk.
1686222847372.png

Then remove the lowest right branch as it is bar branch with the one on the left, wire down the branches in aqua, then let the yellow extend for a few years to even the taper with the main trunk. While that thickens you would have plenty of time to develop the ramification.

1686223140404.png

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
They had a couple more "refined" pre-bonsai black pines while I was there, but also a lot more rougher material growing in the ground. There was a lot of nice pomegranate pre-bonsai as well.

Seriously, I had to drive 1.5hrs because of the weekend traffic just to visit them.
I'm excited to see what they have.

Yeah, the 101 isn't fun when there's traffic. I am quite familiar with traffic, as it takes me an hour to get to work and another hour to get home.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

I finally went! Bought a tree and will probably be going back from time to time. Nice people working there!

david in LA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I finally went! Bought a tree and will probably be going back from time to time. Nice people working there!
Awesome! It's definitely a place I am going to go back to.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up getting?

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Awesome! It's definitely a place I am going to go back to.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up getting?
I got a bald cypress! Never thought I would own one, but this one caught my eye and the price was reasonable, so I went for it. They had a few other trees I really liked too, but this one was cool.

IMG_20230624_101637.jpgIMG_20230623_190807.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom