Japanese Black Pine emergency

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
I restyled a bonsai nursery JBP a few weeks ago. The buds were extending and it was still in the 3 gallon pot shipped to me in. I did a cooler pot idea where I put the cut down 3 gallon pot into a larger training pot that had new good bonsai soil in it so that the next year it would be ready for a good repot (and this year stay cooler and moist easier). The dogs were let out and left outside for the customary 10-15 minutes. I opened the door and dog one came right inside dog two took a few moments. This intrigued me so I went outside looking. I didnt notice anything at first but something seemed odd about the side porch brick area. Sure enough that blankety blank dog ripped my newly potted tree out and was munching it in the yard.

This tree was 2 inch caliper old flaky bark, about 10 inches tall, and perfect branch placement just needed pad refinement (I really believe this tree could have been top show quality in 3 more years). Now the lower branch that was needed is gone. everything else comes off the top and was wired low to look majestic. The Flipping dog ripped it out of the pot inside a pot (also happens to be the first night left out after dark) and chewed the rootball in half.

So I did emergency repot into big training pot with good bonsai soil. cutpasted what I could and praying the tree lives and if it does that the 2 lil buds on that lower branch survive.

I added Mycro and bacteria to soil and added a "ship" ton of hormone powder to encourage really quick root growth.

Heres what I need help on.

I have never taken care of a pine that got mangled this quick. It did need a repot but I was waiting till next season since it had been styled. The roots were overgrown BUt now there is 1/2 of the roots and it isnt like they were combed out gently.

What is the after care for the best chance at saving this?

It obviously will need sun, but I have no green house so I cannot stop any wind. Do I put it in the shade? or just early morning sun?

I was shaking when I saw this and nearly had a heart attack (dogs have never ever ever ever touched my plants... ever, and I spent hours today taking care of this plant. Never seen such bad timing.)

Last edited:

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
If the damage to foliage isn't ridiculous and, as you said, only half the root ball was "demolished", and this happened in the cooler night hours, you might be alright...It'll be touch and go if he does recover, but at least you'll know if he's dead soon enough (Pines, in my experience, have not been as secretive about dying as other conifers, especially JBP)...Maybe someone with more experience repotting these guys could help out more (I've helped out on repotting some larger ones, but haven't repotted them hundreds of times like I know some artist have)

Last edited:

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Jason,
Sound like you have covered most of the bases. Two things to add:
1. You might mist the tree a couple of times a day
2. No pruning or styling this year. Let the top grow strong to help with recovery.
Good luck,
Chris

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would say for the first couple of weeks you should keep the tree out of the sun and the wind. Those two things are the main culprits in drying out our plants.

I'm not sure about JBP but I know many pines are able to absorb water through their needles so misting it is a great idea.

The other real issue is making sure nothing else goes wrong this season. As someone said let it grow all it wants this year. Keep an eye out for fungus and insects, they attack things that are weak. It might be the year to be more proactive in that regard.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
JBP are pretty tough pines, so keep your fingers crossed. At least it happened in early spring, and not in the middle of the summer. Good luck!

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
How is the dog doing..? ;)

I had one of my cats yesterday mistaken a large plastic container of sifted Akadama for her litter box..Uh

Good luck with your pine!

Best,
Dorothy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How is the dog doing..? ;)

I had one of my cats yesterday mistaken a large plastic container of sifted Akadama for her litter box..Uh

LOL. Good one! (on both counts)

I dread the day a neighbors cat use one of my pots as a litter box...but did cross my mind as a likely scenario. Ugh!

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Think I should tent?

If it were me, I probably wouldn't tent. The weather is going to heat up quickly, and tenting will turn things into a sauna in there. I would instead think about moving it out of the direct sun and wind.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
A picture would always help to give better advice.
I would not tent. It may be a little early to repot JBP in your area but not by too much. I'd treat it like any other pine that was just repotted. keep out of afternoon sun and drying winds for a few weeks and watch the water, especially since you said you put it in a big training pot.There aren't as many roots to take up water and you want to be carefull that the soil doesn't stay too wet. You could use a mild fertilizer now but for me the main thing would be to be careful with watering.

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
well, it seems this has been cleaned up nicely........misting would help, as previously stated...mist the needles, come back when their free of droplets and do it again from mid morning till mid afternoon..wouldn't mist at night though...I don't think tenting would be ideal if the temperature is starting to rise where your located, couldn't hurt for the time being though.. Once it gets like a terrarium inside the tent, I'd free the tree....

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
It was styled and wired a few weeks ago. So I am afraid this will be the stress to kill it. I'm thinking tent it so it can catch some UV to photo synthesize and thenbring it in everynight so the soil remains warmer hopefully encouraging root growth. A

Thoughts?

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was styled and wired a few weeks ago. So I am afraid this will be the stress to kill it. I'm thinking tent it so it can catch some UV to photo synthesize and thenbring it in everynight so the soil remains warmer hopefully encouraging root growth. A

Thoughts?

The damage is already done. I would leave it alone, just keep it out of direct sun and wind, and don't let it freeze. Tinkering with it and all these extra babying efforts has the potential to just make matters worse. It will catch UV to photo synthesize outside of a tent. :D

You said that you repotted it into a big training pot. One thing to be careful of is to not overpot conifers, so make sure you watch your watering like was said earlier.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Well I had to water quite heavily when I repotted and put the solution in and I had just repotted earlier so it had had water earlier NOW it is supposed to rain. This is a nightmare.

bottom heat?

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tenting it will not provide any more UV than direct sun, it will provide less. The tent is a shade.

I would also only bring the tree in if a deep frost or hard freeze is predicted. Moving it inside and outside will force the tree to try and adapt each time it's moved, stressing it out even more.

At this point, if you've potted it up, made sure its getting adequate water and it's out of the wind, and moved it to where the dogs can't get it, you've done what can be done. Moving the plant, stressing out over the plant won't really help things. It's up to the tree now. And FWIW, Black pine is pretty darn hardy and can take some abuse. It's not going to be showable for some time, but that's the way it is.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well I had to water quite heavily when I repotted and put the solution in and I had just repotted earlier so it had had water earlier NOW it is supposed to rain. This is a nightmare.

Another reason why tenting can help. If it is on a shade, it will never heat up as much as most make you believe. It will help keep rain off and draft as well. And most importantly keep the humidity high for the leaves. JMHO. BUT I am newbie with limited experience so do as you will.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Tenting it will not provide any more UV than direct sun, it will provide less. The tent is a shade.

I would also only bring the tree in if a deep frost or hard freeze is predicted. Moving it inside and outside will force the tree to try and adapt each time it's moved, stressing it out even more.

At this point, if you've potted it up, made sure its getting adequate water and it's out of the wind, and moved it to where the dogs can't get it, you've done what can be done. Moving the plant, stressing out over the plant won't really help things. It's up to the tree now. And FWIW, Black pine is pretty darn hardy and can take some abuse. It's not going to be showable for some time, but that's the way it is.

I usually use a clear drycleaner bag when yenting. I know it could reduce the UV but I was thinking of a warmer greenhouse effect in the indirect sun.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You said you put it in good soil, so you should be fine. You could always tip the pot to help drain extra water if you're worried that the soil mix is retaining too much water.

No need for bottom heat either - the weather is warming up nicely now, at least here in VA. Just be careful with any frost warnings.

bottom heat?

Reaction score
Let me add my 2 cents worth. Here's my top 10 of what you need to do:

10. Don't panic
9. Make sure whatever you put the pine in is fast draining (this is critical)
8. Water daily in the morning (even the needles) & don't allow the tree to dry out
7. Do not tent the pine (this will only lead to fungus, heat & humidity problems)
6. Put the plant in the shade for a week, then give it full sun (JBP's need full sun)
5. Wait to fertilize until you see candles pushing
4. If you treat the JBP differently than you normally would, you could do more harm than good
3. Put your trees where the dogs can't get 'em!
2. Disconnect emotionally by pretending you've already lost the tree
1. Prey to the Bonsai Gods for help!

Good luck, I feel your pain. Keep us posted!

JC

Top Bottom