Japanese Black Pine Field Growing

Brian2594

Seed
Reaction score
I have a young Japanese black pine I want to field grow. Would I be able to plant it now? I haven’t had issues with planting other trees in late fall/winter before. For reference I live in the Tampa Bay Area so the winter is pretty mild. I was thinking of just waiting till spring so I can work the roots more before I put it in the ground. I also had a bunch of other trees and some satzuki azaleas I was going to plant in then.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Consider putting in Grow bag before grounding to contain roots😊.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Definitely do root work before starting to ground grow. Nebari is an important part of bonsai but people overlook it in favour of thick trunks. You are unlikely to get much growth over winter so no real advantage to planting now instead of spring.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Isn't re-pot season in Tampa beginning in just a few weeks? Ideally, someone from that portion of FL would chime in but your winters are so mild and short, I'm thinking you could plan on working the roots and planting out the first or second week in January. A light frost isn't going to hurt your tree one bit and your ground never freezes so I wouldn't be too concerned about the timing.

As a side note, in N GA, usda zone 7b where the ground can actually freeze for an inch or two any time from late December through January (very temporary, though), I'd be re-potting pines from late February right through March and I'd be planting stock out at approximately the same time. Fwiw, your growing season is at least 6 weeks longer then what I had there.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom