Japanese Black Pine Grafts

AndyJ

Mame
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Is it too late now to put a graft on a JBP? I didn't do my research thoroughly enough - thinking I need to use one of this season's candles as the scion. It looks like I should have used one of last seasons and put the graft on early spring.

Thanks all,

Andy

Blimpsandmtn

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would say yes it's kind of late to do such an operation, I would say your best bet is to hold off until fall or early winter when it's dormant. Summer and late spring you just gotta let trees be.
Hope this helps
-Blimps

Shibui

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I prefer early spring grafts for pine but have done mid summer grafts successfully. I've only used hardened wood for scions. Not sure whether soft new shoots will be OK? You could try decandling a shoot and use the hardwood from below if you really must graft now or look for a shoot with very small candle as a scion.
Does your grafting really need to be done now? You have missed the best time. Why not wait for next season and be properly prepared?

AndyJ

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, gents!!

No, definitely doesn't have to be done now was just wondering if it was still possible. I'll make a diary note and do it next year.

Andy

River's Edge

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi folks,

Is it too late now to put a graft on a JBP? I didn't do my research thoroughly enough - thinking I need to use one of this season's candles as the scion. It looks like I should have used one of last seasons and put the graft on early spring.

Thanks all,

Andy
One needs to adjust for climate. However the best time for grafting is just as the tree is coming out of dormancy and while the scion is still dormant. For me this is the end of february to middle of March usually!
The best scion for grafting is the summer candle that results after decandling the spring candle on the JBP.
That means that preparation for next years grafting begins with decandling the JBP which for me is from June 1 to July 15, depending on the stage and progress of the particular tree.
just as important is the aftercare and the staged removal of humidity protection as the graft proceeds. Reducing the auxin within the grafted site by dealing with apical candles also help to strengthen the graft once it is started. You should know how well the graft is progressing within 6 to 8 weeks. Watch for the scion bud increasing and extending within the bag.