Japanese black pine in colorado zone 5a

mickey12

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hello and Merry Christmas to all, I was wondering if anyone out there has tried to grow JBP in Colorado in zone 5a and If so could you please let me know of its possible.
I have looked around the web and found nothing that helps I have looked on some of the Colorado bonsai societies also no help ANY INFO. AT ALL WILL HELP.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello and Merry Christmas to all, I was wondering if anyone out there has tried to grow JBP in Colorado in zone 5a and If so could you please let me know of its possible.
I have looked around the web and found nothing that helps I have looked on some of the Colorado bonsai societies also no help ANY INFO. AT ALL WILL HELP.
It is simple, if you can provide the proper environment then you can do it. Winter protection will be required as your zone is too cold for the roots to survive unprotected.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would choose a pine that grows better in your zone.
Scots or Mugo would be a better choice. Much more cold hardy and just as good for bonsai as JBP.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about some particulars in your over-wintering plans, @mickey12 ? I lived in/around the Springs for a number of years in the late 80's, early 90's and still visit regularly some I'm familiar with the weather in all four seasons. Didn't grow bonsai then, but did landscape work, so I've got a little idea of what would be suitably hardy for the area. @M. Frary points out two good candidates for growing in your climate as their hardiness is a lot more reliable. Having said that, I've been growing some JBP here in NH for 5-6 years now, so it certainly can be done, (c'mon man, I'M growing 'em).:D:D:D:D:D:D

:)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Welcome to the site!

As people have pointed out, it all depends on your wintering setup. Do you have the option to provide some winter protection?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Definition.....

Wanting to use JBP in Colorado.

Wait for it.....

Wait for It.....

If some of our country's best Yamadori is not from Colorado....I will lick a stain out of Frary's drawers after a long days work.....
And tend to Lance while he sobers up.

Good thing for me some of our best Yamadori is from Colorado....
Cuz neither one of the above mentioned scenarios is EVER going to happen!

That said.....

Using JBP in Co is like.....

Working at Lamborghini, being allowed a daily driver, and driving a Prius.

Working at a Steak house and lunching at McDonalds.

Having a good pretty wife and banging crack whores.

Growing Dank and Schmokin Schwag.

Coming here from there to buy weed.

Going to the Zoo to see the Hamsters.

Going to Paris to eat at Burger King.

Going to North Korea for freedom.

If you must have JBP.

Use it grafted to Ponderosa.

Price wise....
A good JBP is going to cost near the same as a Yamadori RMJ.
And by the time you may grow out a poopy one..
You will have found your own RMJ to collect.

of course.....its your path.
Just pointing out some rocks should you chose to kick them out of your way!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
How about some particulars in your over-wintering plans, @mickey12 ? I lived in/around the Springs for a number of years in the late 80's, early 90's and still visit regularly some I'm familiar with the weather in all four seasons. Didn't grow bonsai then, but did landscape work, so I've got a little idea of what would be suitably hardy for the area. @M. Frary points out two good candidates for growing in your climate as their hardiness is a lot more reliable. Having said that, I've been growing some JBP here in NH for 5-6 years now, so it certainly can be done, (c'mon man, I'M growing 'em).:D:D:D:D:D:D

:)
If you provide the protection you can grow them but don't make a mistake in that area.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
..I will lick a stain out of Frary's drawers after a long days work.....
I'll meet you at Lances next Saturday morning. He obviously won't be in any condition to drive but I can wear the Friday shorts.
Pack a lunch. You will have a full day ahead of you.
I'm looking forward to it.
Its shaping up to be the most entertaining event of 2017 for me.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm sorry I seem to have lost my way on this post. Smart ass and useless along with the stain from Frary's drawers eludes me in a discussion about Black Pine in zone 5??

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How much cold can an average Black Pine take? Questioning the 100 seeds and the contest I entered. I'm supposed to be zone 6 but not this year.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm sorry I seem to have lost my way on this post. Smart ass and useless along with the stain from Frary's drawers eludes me in a discussion about Black Pine in zone 5??
You have Sorce on ignore don't you?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
How much cold can an average Black Pine take? Questioning the 100 seeds and the contest I entered. I'm supposed to be zone 6 but not this year.
I keep mine outside with no protection, gets down to the teens a few times a year in winter here and they don't bat an eye... any colder than that, in pots... I would protect.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
No I do not have Sorce on ignore. I ignore no one. I consider Sorce a friend. I don't know for sure what is going on with my account but I have found going through the current posts many of the ones I have subscribed to seem to slip through my email.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Welcome to Crazy!

Definition.....

Wanting to use JBP in Colorado.

Wait for it.....

Wait for It.....

If some of our country's best Yamadori is not from Colorado....I will lick a stain out of Frary's drawers after a long days work.....

Good thing for me some of our best Yamadori is from Colorado....
Cuz neither one of the above mentioned scenarios is EVER going to happen!

That said.....

Using JBP in Co is like.....

Working at Lamborghini, being allowed a daily driver, and driving a Prius.

Working at a Steak house and lunching at McDonalds.

Having a good pretty wife and banging crack whores.

Growing Dank and Schmokin Schwag.

Coming here from there to buy weed.

Going to the Zoo to see the Hamsters.

Going to Paris to eat at Burger King.

Going to North Korea for freedom.

If you must have JBP.

Use it grafted to Ponderosa.

Price wise....
A good JBP is going to cost near the same as a Yamadori RMJ.
And by the time you may grow out a poopy one..
You will have found your own RMJ to collect.

of course.....its your path.
Just pointing out some rocks should you chose to kick them out of your way!

Sorce

Just because people use them doesn't mean they are better than JBP for Bonsai! People can only collect what is available and growing wild in nature in America. But to imply Pondarosa is a better Pine than JBP or JWP for Bonsai is, well... False.
Same with RMJ vs Shimpaku. If JBP and Shimpaku were growing wild in our moutians, people would chainsaw the Ponderosa to get to the JBP... walk right by the panther piss smelling RMJs with the leggy growth to get the Shimpaku. I find no value in your post when the guy was asking specifically for advice on how to care for a specific tree in his area... you know Sorce, you do not have to reply to EVERY POST ON THIS FORUM! This would be a better place if you did not honestly. If you have some valuable insight, please feel free to share but you seem to be obsessed with posting in every thread and spreading poorly reasearched misinformation which is dangerous when people are asking for advice. Please, for the sanity of us all, reassess how you handle yourself around here.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Some of the jokes you will understand in time. My apologies for that, I still have to entertain!

And the "like" scenarios is just my jealousy of your Coloradoness.

JBP grafted to Ponderosa is the Key.

Great foilage on awesome trunks that thrive in your area = Bonsai!

Sorce

Top Bottom