Japanese black pine in colorado zone 5a

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice of you to save your insults for someone not involved in your shenanigans!!!:mad:
200.gif

Get some help.....slagging folks that got your back is weak. Figured you to have more sand than this.....
I can handle my shit and was putting in work when you where gettin' rolled for your milk money....
Enough of your friggen' yappin', save your breath for when you've got a tree or pot to show.
I still got you, just don't be side-swippen' my shit, son.:)

I know you only play an alcoholic on BNUT.
And yes.
I know I overplay it up.
(Sorry if I passed your....ahem.. Limit!:p of said playing it up)

I only do this cuz a man that takes care of his boy like you do got a right to do whatever the Fuuuuuuck he wants!
Screw who don't know it bro!

And I'm pretty sure you have either the same, or more screws loose than me...

Which is really the opposite of what is true.

Am I just under that car?

Did you get me like Colin Fraser did?

Bigmouf Mickey Bees!

Sorce

mickey12

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Anybody know the difference between a Japanese black pine and a Korean black pine?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Visable difference that I can tell is that the Korean have slightly shorter needles and a stronger resistance to harsh winters.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The only significant botanical difference between Korean and Japanese black pine is one comes from Korea and one comes from Japan. In other words, they are both Pinus thunbergii. In theory, and there is anecdotal information to back it up, trees from Korean sourced seed is a little more winter hardy. I am not certain the improvement in hardiness would be enough for zone 5a. Closer, but likely not enough. Colorado winters can have very warm days, followed by sub zero nights. Very wide swings in temperature. If you could bury your JBP or KBP deep in snow and keep it buried all winter, these swings would not be a problem, but those warm winter thaws will do just that, thaw, melt the insulating snow away. Best to work out some protected winter storage, or switch to working with pines native to your elevation or elevations higher than where you are at.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Pinus edulis,
Pinus ponderosa,
Pinus contorta latifolia or murryana - the local Colorado version of Lodgepole pine, not the low elevation Shore pine.
Pinus flexilis - limber pine - excellent 5 needle member of white pine family. For medium to large bonsai a good substitute for JWP.
Non-natives worth looking into, P. mugo and P. sylvestris. Both should be hardy through zone 4.

The bristle cone pines have a lot of appeal, but most have found them difficult or tricky to grow. They can be very, very slow growing, which is a problem because to style a bonsai you need growth to have something to work with.

David Spencer

Seedling
Reaction score
When you say protected do you mean keep the roots and soil from freezing

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
When you say protected do you mean keep the roots and soil from freezing
JBP can handle frosts and freezes. I have experienced damage when temps drop below about 15f. They’re not reliably hardy in Zone 5.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Welcome to Crazy!

Definition.....

Wanting to use JBP in Colorado.

Wait for it.....

Wait for It.....

If some of our country's best Yamadori is not from Colorado....I will lick a stain out of Frary's drawers after a long days work.....
And tend to Lance while he sobers up.

Good thing for me some of our best Yamadori is from Colorado....
Cuz neither one of the above mentioned scenarios is EVER going to happen!

That said.....

Using JBP in Co is like.....

Working at Lamborghini, being allowed a daily driver, and driving a Prius.

Working at a Steak house and lunching at McDonalds.

Having a good pretty wife and banging crack whores.

Growing Dank and Schmokin Schwag.

Coming here from there to buy weed.

Going to the Zoo to see the Hamsters.

Going to Paris to eat at Burger King.

Going to North Korea for freedom.

If you must have JBP.

Use it grafted to Ponderosa.

Price wise....
A good JBP is going to cost near the same as a Yamadori RMJ.
And by the time you may grow out a poopy one..
You will have found your own RMJ to collect.

of course.....its your path.
Just pointing out some rocks should you chose to kick them out of your way!

Sorce

You know Sorce I think this type post on this forum is quite unnecessary considering this is a public forum and that there are ladies and people present that it offends. What kind of impression of this group do you think you just gave a new guy, mickey12?? If you think this language and format makes you and entertainer, you're dead wrong in my book. You are also one of the moderators on this forum and should be leading the folks in the right direction. Show a little class please! Peter

David Spencer

Seedling
Reaction score
I live in southern So and yes goto protect
the root mass. How often should I water in the winter?

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You know Sorce I think this type post on this forum is quite unnecessary considering this is a public forum and that there are ladies and people present that it offends. What kind of impression of this group do you think you just gave a new guy, mickey12?? If you think this language and format makes you and entertainer, you're dead wrong in my book. You are also one of the moderators on this forum and should be leading the folks in the right direction. Show a little class please! Peter
Do you realize that Sorce's comments are almost 2 years old! Why dig up old shit!!

David Spencer

Seedling
Reaction score
In Wisconsin we can have fairly large swings but mainly teens to 30's. Would it be ok in the garage with the dog ball protected

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In Wisconsin we can have fairly large swings but mainly teens to 30's. Would it be ok in the garage with the dog ball protected

Depends on what temps your garage maintains. You'll run into a couple potential problems. First, it doesn't stay warm enough (highly unlikely), or it gets too warm (much more likely). Know that the tree will wake up sooner than you realize because the garage will retain heat. Don't forget to water in the winter either.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I keep JBP outdoors long enough for them to be exposed to temps in the low 20s at night. Once it gets colder than that I move them to shelters where temps are maintained no lower than the mid 20s and I haven't had any problems.

However...we had a very cold winter 3 or 4 years ago, coldest February ever in Rochester. There were people in our club who'd been keeping JBP in their unheated garages for years, and they experienced severe losses that winter. So in Wisconsin, which routinely gets much colder than here, I would definitely not risk leaving a JBP in an unheated garage. Maybe if you mulch the pots or put them in coolers with the roots protected they'd be OK. Definitely worth investing in a min/max thermometer and keeping track of how cold it gets in there for how long. I know my attached but unheated and uninsulated garage will get down to the lower teens or colder when we get prolonged severe cold periods.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Keep tem out of the wind and direct sunlight, shield the pots with mulch and you have a chance of pulling them through.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We never consider the composition of the soil beneath the trees.

That might be why them garage trees, over a cold, inactive slab of concrete get damaged.

Considering a compost pile can retain heat and even hold near 100F temps, even in winter, surely, a good garden bed soil will be warmer than straight clay.

We say, "on the ground", but even grounds have different temperatures.

I say this because my seedlings were fine in -24F, but over very alive soil.

So I say, it's not what's on top, it's what's on the bottom!

Resorce

Sorce

David Spencer

Seedling
Reaction score
Bought my black pine bonsai from Florida and I live in Wisconsin. What is best recommendations for this winter storage since it has missed fall completely here in Wisconsin

Top Bottom