Japanese black pine needles turning white

equanox1

Seedling
Reaction score
tmp-cam-1323539970.jpg tmp-cam--525069831.jpg tmp-cam-1322549859.jpg tmp-cam-1322549859.jpg tmp-cam--1498808115.jpg tmp-cam-1478529597.jpg I really need to know real quick what is up with two of my black pines. Both are having all or next to most of their needles lightning up wayy too much and starting to turn white!!! I noticed this the other day but didnt really look at them much until today. I sprayed them down with some neem oil just a little bit ago. Please help me.
If i need to replant in emergency i will!
The first and foremost and my favorite tree is my tai hei, ita a corker... And most of its needles are turning white. Im not sure if this from a deep freezenwhich i dont think so, ive had them for years, and i might have people in life who would poison them like my ex girlfriend, but im just not sure. Im in nc too and needle blight is bad out here but ive done good keeping up with trees for the most part. Now im freaking out a little bit. Please help asap

Attachments

• tmp-cam-1465331482.jpg
    tmp-cam-1465331482.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 103

Lynn E

Mame
Reaction score
View attachment 126725 View attachment 126726 View attachment 126727 View attachment 126727 View attachment 126728 View attachment 126730 I really need to know real quick what is up with two of my black pines. Both are having all or next to most of their needles lightning up wayy too much and starting to turn white!!! I noticed this the other day but didnt really look at them much until today. I sprayed them down with some neem oil just a little bit ago. Please help me.
If i need to replant in emergency i will!
The first and foremost and my favorite tree is my tai hei, ita a corker... And most of its needles are turning white. Im not sure if this from a deep freezenwhich i dont think so, ive had them for years, and i might have people in life who would poison them like my ex girlfriend, but im just not sure. Im in nc too and needle blight is bad out here but ive done good keeping up with trees for the most part. Now im freaking out a little bit. Please help asap
Looks like needle cast to me. Maybe overnight a sample to your local ag. extension? Good luck.
Lynn

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I agree with Lynn. This look likes needle cast.

Here are my notes on needle cast:

1) Needle cast is a general term for a foliar disease on pine which causes small spots or lesions on needles, needle browning, death, and premature drop

2) It's the most commonly reported black pine disease

3) Caused by fungi Lophodermium, Mycospaerella, Ploioderma, or Rhozospaeria

4) Most needle cast infect young, newly formed needles in the late spring or early summer, but symptoms do not begin to develop until the following winter or early spring

5) First symptoms are small yellow spots on needles less than one year old

6) Yellow spots turn brown and expand to form bands of discoloration about 1/4” wide that span the needle

7) Tips of the needles and tissue between multiple bands will then turn brown and die - base of the needle will often stay green

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
8) Infected needles will begin to prematurely drop in the late spring and throughout the summer

9) On severely diseased trees, all needles from the previous season may be lost, leaving only new growth, weakening the tree
In later spring (April-May) stickily spores are produced on lesions from the previous year’s infections and are spread by wind or rain
Infection can only occur during wet/cool weather

10) It does occur in Houston and you must spray to control it.

11) Treatment is a spray of copper fungicide in the early spring before the buds begin to push (February) and spray with Daconil/Fungonil/Bravo monthly through the growing season

Hope that helps.

Scott

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It also helps to apply a systemic fungicide. Clearys 3336 is good.

I found a product with the same active ingredient as Clearys: Bonide Infuse granular fungicide on Amazon.

equanox1

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your replies! I'm going to go about obtaining some daconil and try that bonide fungicide off amazon too.
Do you guys think cutting off all the needles in the effected areas would do my trees any good?

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had this happen to a few of my black pine. They are not lethal but need to control by spraying Daconil a few times at every 2 weeks interval. You can cut the affected needles off (not the entire needle, just the affected area). Watch out on overwatering the tree.

Attachments

• IMG_20161217_084332774.jpg
    IMG_20161217_084332774.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20161122_073221940.jpg
    IMG_20161122_073221940.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 91

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you so much for your replies! I'm going to go about obtaining some daconil and try that bonide fungicide off amazon too.
Do you guys think cutting off all the needles in the effected areas would do my trees any good?

No it wont. It shouldnt hurt either. The only thing it could do is prevent/reduce spread of the spores next spring. If you do cut needles, cut only the infected ones and clean them ALL up and dipose of them in the trash. DO not throw them outside in your yard. Also clean up any fallen needles on the soil and around the tree.

The main thing is to prevent reinfection next year. Keep in mind what Scott told you.

The needles are infected one full year before you see symptoms. That means you might get more infected needles next year. They systemic that Adair mentioned will probably help with that.
You need to treat and be consistent with treatment or it could come back.

I would also recommend that you not do any work to this tree next year. Its going to be weak and will need to recover and get strong again. At least see how it grows next spring, but I would be reluctant to risk it.

Last edited:

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was interested in trying the Bonide Infuse granular fungicide. However, when I e-mailed the Bonide company about the suggested dose for potted plants, I got this reply:
"Thank you for your email. Sorry but the label for Infuse Lawn & Landscape states "Do not apply by hand . . ." Pesticides are very highly regulated by both the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and State Agricultural Department. The back label is the law, as the label states "It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling." I cannot give out rates for containers as I cannot recommend using a product in a way that is not listed on the label. "

So Adair, can you give me an idea about how much you are using ?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So...

You want me to break the law?

Lol!

I use a teaspoon, and I sprinkle a little ( 1/2 to 1 teaspoon) on the average pot. More if it's a big one, less if small.

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That was a theoretical question... I was just wondering If i did intend to break the law, what the recommended dose would be !;)

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Adair, do you mind me asking when you apply the systemic?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is really important to note that your needles are not turning white, per se. There are other afflictions that cause the entire needle to turn white. What you are experiencing is "banding" on the needle and the nature and color of the bands helps identify the fungal pathogen.

Here is a good article on needle blight and needle cast in pines.

Treatment involves preventing spread of infection to uninfected parts of the plant (and preventing spread to other trees!). There is no treatment of infected needles in that the infected needles cannot be "cured". Treatment with topical fungicide prevents spread of the disease, rather than curing it once it is within the needles.

(1) Remove the diseased pine from any other healthy conifers. Place it in a separate "hospital" quarantine area that is easy to clean - i.e. over concrete.
(2) Make sure to take ALL dead needles (that have fallen off the tree) and any other pruning materials from the area and dispose of them in GARBAGE (not green waste - and definitely not compost). Assume they are all infected with fungus.
(3) If you prune the tree make sure you disinfect your gardening tools before you use them on any other plant.
(4) Do not water the needles - since that is how the fungus spores spread. Water the soil only. Keep the tree out of the rain.

If the tree has a lot of healthy needles remaining, you can carefully remove the infected needles to speed the healing process. DO NOT trim diseased needles and healthy needles or branches at the same time!

Quarantine and fungicide and your tree should be able to recover fully. It's all about controlling the fungus so it doesn't spread. Eventually the tree will drop all the old infected needles, and the new growth will be fungus free.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I apply the systemic twice a year:

Just as the spring candles are beginning to grow, and at decandling time. Since it will be growing new needles at those times.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Adair M @markyscott
Based on the extent of the infection and the growth cycle you described, is it logical to assume that those trees have been infected long ago without been noticed, if I may ask...
Thank you!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M @markyscott
Based on the extent of the infection and the growth cycle you described, is it logical to assume that those trees have been infected long ago without been noticed, if I may ask...
Thank you!
Yes, which is why the systemic is best. It prevents the fungus from getting started. By the time you see the yellow stripes, it's too late. Spraying with Daconil or Copper will help prevent it from spreading, but won't "cure" the needles.

Top Bottom