Japanese black pine needles turning white

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's what's available for Bonide on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro....TRC0.A0.H0.Xbonide.TRS0&_nkw=bonide&_sacat=0

I worry that some may not ship to California because we make everything illegal.

Now.... IF .... I can get it, which one would you choose?

AND..... how long does systemic take to infiltrate the tree and become effective?

I don't seem to have any problems with my Scots, but B-Nut's link says that Scots are VERY susceptible.

Thus, should I treat even with no apparent CURRENT problem?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks. Just ordered some.

Had an experience today at a big box home store. Got some Daconil and took it home
BOTH holes in nozzle were ..STREAM.

Well hell, I wanted to SPRAY
So I take it back. THIS time I sprayed 7 straight bottles in the aisle and ALL were the bad nozzles.
Finally... I found ONE that worked.
Took it to cashier and was told I had to go to Customer Inconvenience.
So I took it there.
Showed THAT lady how the one I had did not work and the new one did.

AAAAaaagggGHHHHH! YOU CAN"T DO THAT!
What?

THAT's HAZMAT! Aiyeeeee!

So? Try not to eat your lunch off the floor there.

OH NO...... I have to get the CLEANING CREW!

This for ONE squirt. Mebbe .003 cc.

Sheeeze......:confused:

Hmmm, now I wonder if I should have told her about the seven BAD bottles I ...tossed BEHIND... the bags of potting soil.

We're all gonna die now. :rolleyes:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks man, really appreciate it!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So...

You want me to break the law?

Lol!

I use a teaspoon, and I sprinkle a little ( 1/2 to 1 teaspoon) on the average pot. More if it's a big one, less if small.
So to be clear, you sprinkle it DRY on the surface?
Do you consider 12x18 large or average?
PLUS..... any cautions? (don't get on bark/needles? water immediately after/before?, hope?)

Just wanna do it right.
o_O

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So to be clear, you sprinkle it DRY on the surface?
Do you consider 12x18 large or average?
PLUS..... any cautions? (don't get on bark/needles? water immediately after/before?, hope?)

Just wanna do it right.
o_O
I sprinkle it on dry. Distribute some around the pot. Actually, I don't think that part is all that important. John Kirby, who told me about it just dumps a teaspoonful on the soil surface in a pile.

Yes, water it in. Not so much that you water it out!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'll repeat my plea.

I may have overlooked the dosage so will ask again a couple questions.

How OFTEN do you sprinkle the 1/2 to 1 tsp of Bonide on the soil and water IN not THROUGH?
Anything to AVOID when using it? Like maybe don't fertilize? Let it dry afterwards for a couple days?

Sorry to be so naggy, but this Scots has gone through HELL in its life and I would like to do the fungal protection ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

Thanks. :)

the1only

Yamadori
Reaction score
I apply the systemic twice a year:

Just as the spring candles are beginning to grow, and at decandling time. Since it will be growing new needles at those times.

Mike Adair did posted, he applying twice a year. Regarding fertilizer I am sure it should not be a problem with it. We can prevent diseases with out compromising nutrients for the trees.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Twice a year
little bit
Don't flush it thru
hmmmm.....guess that covers it.

:D

Stevo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi all - brand new here. I inherited several bonsai plants from my uncle who passed away. Three of them are beautiful Japanese Black Pines. One of them has that white powdery substance on the needles and the needles are turning yellowish. I am hoping I caught it in time. I am trying to follow the recommendations that a few of you gave, so I bought "Southern Ag 02901 Liquid Copper Fungicide, 8oz" which I will spray on and I also purchased "Bonide (BND148) - Infuse Systemic Disease Control, Fungicide Concentrate" from Amazon, thinking that it was the granulated one. Can I still use this, or is it the wrong one to use since I am spraying the Liquid Copper Fungicide on as well?

Appreciative of any help since we love these trees.
Here is part of the infected tree. The trees are about 3'-4' tall.

Reaction score
HELP!!!!!!!!!! If I have a Ogon Japanese Black Pine graft that looks just like this and I use a systemic fungicide Phyton 27 on it by spraying it. Will it still get to the root system and in the trunk of the tree as it is suppose to do? Or do I need to use it as a drench because it is made to use both ways? Or do I need to do both? I also have some Carstens Winter Gold Mugo Pines and a few of them have brown tips on them. What does it sound like I have on the Mugos? They have all been in a unheated garage since before freezing temps. this winter. I live in Opelika, Alabama. Thank you guys ahead of time for the help! I'm as worried as the guy with the pine bonsai :eek:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
HELP!!!!!!!!!! If I have a Ogon Japanese Black Pine graft that looks just like this and I use a systemic fungicide Phyton 27 on it by spraying it. Will it still get to the root system and in the trunk of the tree as it is suppose to do? Or do I need to use it as a drench because it is made to use both ways? Or do I need to do both? I also have some Carstens Winter Gold Mugo Pines and a few of them have brown tips on them. What does it sound like I have on the Mugos? They have all been in a unheated garage since before freezing temps. this winter. I live in Opelika, Alabama. Thank you guys ahead of time for the help! I'm as worried as the guy with the pine bonsai :eek:

@Stevo

Wow I am sorry I missed this post and I dont know why no one responded......

The tree pictured above appears to have a VERY bad case of scale, or maybe wooly aphids or adelgids (cottonly look but cant tell for sure its not entirely clear).
From the looks of things, it could be both scale and adelgids or wooly aphids. That is not a fungus, so fungicide will do you no good AT ALL.
Those are all insects and if if your tree is infested as badly as the one above, you need to implement an insecticide that will kill scale, and adelgids.
Dont monkey around with insecticidal soap or milder treatments with it this bad, get the strong stuff that will kill scale and use it.
That tree is getting drained fast and it needs to be dealt with fast.

Reaction score
Or should I get the stuff for the soil that you guys advised Mike to get? I have never used the Phyton 27 ever, but my Japanese Maple nursery buddy in North Carolina told me about it as a preventative. He uses it when he up pots. ( What is specifically considered deep watering and how often do you do it? He says a lot of major nurseries use it and they and he swears by it. HELP!!!!!!!!!! I have a Nursery of about 100 rare conifers and Japanese Maples and I'm scared I'm gonna lose everything! This helps pays some of my bills as my wife has an auto immune disorder and was a RN making $30 an hour. She has been denied disability. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Thank You Sandy!!!!!!!!!!! I'll try to load pictures tomorrow morning just so you guys can see.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Or should I get the stuff for the soil that you guys advised Mike to get? I have never used the Phyton 27 ever, but my Japanese Maple nursery buddy in North Carolina told me about it as a preventative. He uses it when he up pots. ( What is specifically considered deep watering and how often do you do it? He says a lot of major nurseries use it and they and he swears by it. HELP!!!!!!!!!! I have a Nursery of about 100 rare conifers and Japanese Maples and I'm scared I'm gonna lose everything! This helps pays some of my bills as my wife has an auto immune disorder and was a RN making $30 an hour. She has been denied disability. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

NO, if your tree has little white, brown, black spots all over the needles, its scale, if they are fuzzy its adelgids or wolly aphids, could be 2 or all 3.
Those are ALL insects and need to be treated with insecticide.
Phyton 27 is a fungicide and WILL NOT KILL insects.
DO NOT go with systemic right now because that will take too long to act. If your trees look as bad as the one pictured above, you need to get a spray and spray them down.
If you can scrape them off with your fingernail and they look like they have little circluar, flat shells, its scale.

Sevin will take care of all of those insects I listed.

You will need to look at every tree and see if they are infested and spray the ones that have it.

HOWEVER YOU HAVE NOT POSTED A PICTURE OF YOUR TREE
So I am only going off the picture above.

You need to make sure you positively identify what you have BEFORE you start spraying things all over the place.
I would recommend also treating again in a month if it is scale because it can come back if you dont treat throughout the life cycle.
And for Gods sake read the directions and follow them, including use of safety equipment!!
You also dont need to treat trees that dont have it.
I have had scale and adelgids on my pines but not my maples. So you really need to look at your trees!!!

Stevo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@Stevo

Wow I am sorry I missed this post and I dont know why no one responded......

The tree pictured above appears to have a VERY bad case of scale, or maybe wooly aphids or adelgids (cottonly look but cant tell for sure its not entirely clear).
From the looks of things, it could be both scale and adelgids or wooly aphids. That is not a fungus, so fungicide will do you no good AT ALL.
Those are all insects and if if your tree is infested as badly as the one above, you need to implement an insecticide that will kill scale, and adelgids.
Dont monkey around with insecticidal soap or milder treatments with it this bad, get the strong stuff that will kill scale and use it.
That tree is getting drained fast and it needs to be dealt with fast.

Paradox, thanks so much for responding! Do you think Sevin would be the right thing for me?

Top Bottom