Japanese Black Pine reverse taper problem

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
OP, have you considered growing from seed? It's not like the one you have now is that far ahead of the curve hahaha.

michang05

Seedling
Reaction score
OP, have you considered growing from seed? It's not like the one you have now is that far ahead of the curve hahaha.
First thing in my mind, yet i think the ones i bought online doesnt look like a a pine sapling(bought jwp first) . Hehe my said to be jbp is still in stratification. Until i found out the local nursery here

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It may be too soon in the life of the tree to start decandling. I think it is better to leave that until the tree has grown a bit. I know almost everything written about JBP is on decandling and needle pruning but those are finishing techniques. During trunk development I use different strategy based on the tree producing new buds and shoots from healthy needles. Growing JBP can be allowed to grow freely for 2 years at a time to get thicker trunk and branches then cut all branches right back to the lowers healthy needles. New buds will then grow from those needles. Repeat that cycle until thickness is achieved - 4, 6, 10 years, whatever is necessary.
After trunk is achieved it is then time to move to the needle pulling and decandling which will promote ramification and shorter shoots.

While the trunk is growing and thickeningyou can fertilize all year round. In warmer areas JBP does not go dormant. Even here there is some growth through winter and the trees definitely grow faster and better when we fertilize in winter.
Later we fertilize well up to a few weeks before decandling then no fert while the new buds grow so they stay smaller.

I will try to find some info about JBP in tropics but I suspect repotting could be done any time.

michang05

Seedling
Reaction score
It may be too soon in the life of the tree to start decandling. I think it is better to leave that until the tree has grown a bit. I know almost everything written about JBP is on decandling and needle pruning but those are finishing techniques. During trunk development I use different strategy based on the tree producing new buds and shoots from healthy needles. Growing JBP can be allowed to grow freely for 2 years at a time to get thicker trunk and branches then cut all branches right back to the lowers healthy needles. New buds will then grow from those needles. Repeat that cycle until thickness is achieved - 4, 6, 10 years, whatever is necessary.
After trunk is achieved it is then time to move to the needle pulling and decandling which will promote ramification and shorter shoots.

While the trunk is growing and thickeningyou can fertilize all year round. In warmer areas JBP does not go dormant. Even here there is some growth through winter and the trees definitely grow faster and better when we fertilize in winter.
Later we fertilize well up to a few weeks before decandling then no fert while the new buds grow so they stay smaller.

I will try to find some info about JBP in tropics but I suspect repotting could be done any time.
Great stuff, I recently acquired this tree this month, when you say leave the tree let it grow wild for 2 yrs, i think this tree i like the branches so far, yet i would need to lengthen and shorten some. I'm not doing anything other than watering and i did put 2 fertilizer cups but might add 2 more.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Some of those branches are already a couple of years old so may need to be cut soon if you want to keep any growth close to the tree. The whole process and all the possible variations is difficult to communicate by text. I am also not sure of the growth pattern in your climate so you may need to study how and when it grows to get a handle on timing. So far I have not been able to find written info and have not yet found any tropical pine growers to refer you to.

The problem with pines is what you have now is not what you will have next year unless you manage the growth and allow for the natural growth cycles. Looking ahead 2 or 3 years is important when developing a pine because you don't get a second chance like with deciduous trees.

michang05

Seedling
Reaction score
Some of those branches are already a couple of years old so may need to be cut soon if you want to keep any growth close to the tree. The whole process and all the possible variations is difficult to communicate by text. I am also not sure of the growth pattern in your climate so you may need to study how and when it grows to get a handle on timing. So far I have not been able to find written info and have not yet found any tropical pine growers to refer you to.

The problem with pines is what you have now is not what you will have next year unless you manage the growth and allow for the natural growth cycles. Looking ahead 2 or 3 years is important when developing a pine because you don't get a second chance like with deciduous trees.
Thank you. This would be my challenge and learning experience. I'll update this thread. I hear Vietnamese bonsai enthusiasts are also in jbps haven't had a chance to talk to one from there. That might help.

tgooboon

Seed
Reaction score
Do you have an update on the progress of this pine and how it has gone over the last couple of years?

Top Bottom