Japanese Black Pine seeds stratification

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I bought last week some Pinus Thunbergii (Japanese black pine) seeds. On the instructions says that I have to do a cold stratification of 2 months and plant them in spring. I assume it is a little bit too early to begin with the stratification now.... so what should I do with the seeds?

At the bottom of the instructions says also: "if you do not use the seeds immediately, keep them in the refrigerator in a hermetically sealed bag or container"

I am afraid to do something wrong. I live in Belgium if this is important to know...
What should I do?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First ask yourself how were the seeds stored before they got to you ?
And for how long ?

So they might already have been through the cold process ?

Anyhow, when we had J.B. pine seeds from Japan, the most we did was place them in
the vegetable crisper in a sealed plastic bottle.

Then follow in late spring the other instructions and you should see germination
in around 10 days.
Remember, a sterile soil.
Good Day
Anthony

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
To store pine seeds prior to use:
(1) Keep them perfectly dry.
(2) Keep them cool.
(3) Avoid fluctuating temperatures.
The seeds do not need to be stored cold - ie in a refrigerator - if you live in an already cool climate and have a cool spot to store them in that will be out of direct light. Refrigerators can be fine as long as the temperature doesn't fluctuate much, and as long as you can keep the seeds perfectly dry. If they run the risk of freezing (if you keep your refrigerator on the cold side), or if the temperature fluctuates a lot because the refrigerator gets a lot of use with people opening the door frequently, it is better to just leave the seeds out in a cool spot in your house.

To start your seeds, get a container of clean warm water and soak your seeds in it for 24 hours. At the end of 24 hours, any seeds that are floating on the surface are not viable and should be thrown out.

Japanese Black Pine typically requires 30 days of cold stratification at 40 degrees. Remove your seeds from the water where they were soaking, put them in a sealed container with moist (not wet) media, and place them in the refrigerator. During this time your primary risk is fungus. Many people pro-actively treat the seeds and/or media for fungus, and it helps if the media you use is sterile to begin with. I use paper towels that have been moistened. During this 30 days it is important to make sure the seeds don't dry out... but that they aren't soaking wet either.

After a couple of weeks, check your seeds every few days to make sure they haven't started sprouting. The day you notice some of them sprouting (or after 30 days, whichever comes first), remove your seeds from the refrigerator, plant them in your growing media, and place them out in full sun. Protect from animals - the seeds are particularly vulnerable (and tasty) at this stage.

Last edited:

YBreaz

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I received some bonsai growing kits for Christmas (Black Pine, Cherry Blossom, Olive) so I'm completely new to growing bonsai from seeds. Could I sow the seeds into tiny seedling pots and then put them in a zip lock with damp paper towel or would that prevent decent germination? I've also collected some local tree seeds (Austin, TX area) and just folded them in damp toweling in a zip lock. Am I on the right track or do I need to adjust? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom