Japanese Black Pine slant style.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dave, you ought to seal those up with putty cut paste. You don't want water getting in there.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Dave, you ought to seal those up with putty cut paste. You don't want water getting in there.
Too late:D. The grafts are all buried under almost 2 inches of soil. Honestly, I doubt that cut paste would be able to keep water completely away from the site, and I've never felt the need to apply cut paste below grade since things aren't going to dry out...I want the graft site to stay moist.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really nice Dave! I wish I could find a tree like this...

I'm enjoying all the updates you are sharing lately. Keep em coming!!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dave, you'll see the tree next weekend at the Show, but I'm trying a different approach on my Zuisho. Instead of root grafts, I cut "Windows" in the lower trunk where I want roots to grow. Gouged out 1/4 holes about 1/4 deep. And stuffed in moist orchid moss. Kinda like doing an air layer, but not all around. Zuisho will layer, unlike most pines.

We'll see if it works.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dave, you'll see the tree next weekend at the Show, but I'm trying a different approach on my Zuisho. Instead of root grafts, I cut "Windows" in the lower trunk where I want roots to grow. Gouged out 1/4 holes about 1/4 deep. And stuffed in moist orchid moss. Kinda like doing an air layer, but not all around. Zuisho will layer, unlike most pines.

We'll see if it works.
I remember seeing that technique used on an old, old, collected JBP in an old BT issue. The tree, one of the more famous JBP in Japan, responded very well and grew an entire new set of surface roots. I may go back and create some of those windows in between the grafts for comparison's sake.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I remember seeing that technique used on an old, old, collected JBP in an old BT issue. The tree, one of the more famous JBP in Japan, responded very well and grew an entire new set of surface roots. I may go back and create some of those windows in between the grafts for comparison's sake.
I'm thinking it will work better on Zuishu than JBP, but you never know until you try.

Nemoose

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
This tree was my first "real" tree...a field grown (in southern Maine, of all places) JBP I purchased for $125 about 8-9 years ago...it came in it's own 5 gal bucket with holes punched in the bottom for drainage;). I had really no clue how to grow or style a pine, but dove in head first with this one. Basically, I did everything wrong with this one; removed branches flush with the trunk, removed 75% of the root system the first time I transplanted it, didn't aggressively remove the field soil until last year, candled it repeatedly over several seasons when it was clearly not thriving, etc. Despite all the abuse, the tree has survived though its development has certainly been delayed. Last year, I re-potted it, removing the last of the field soil. I didn't candle the tree in July for the first time in 3-4 years, hoping to strengthen it. I will do some needle plucking prior to bud break.
The two biggest design challenges for this tree, in my eyes, are 1) the poor apex, and 2) the poor base/nebari. The apex has no taper, so I'm hopng to replace it via an approach graft started last summer (you can see the grafting tape in the pics). The base/nebari of the tree is so typical of JBP that have been field grown prior to having any root work done, with that ugly bulge and minimal surface rootage. I may root graft to alleviate the lack of surface rootage, but there isn't much to do about the bulge. My teacher and I have contemplated a new front with the tree rotated clockwise a bit. It does reduce the visual weight of the bulge, but it also diminishes some of the movement in the mid and upper trunk. Comments/thoughts/suggestions welcome.
Ok newb question. What is candling? First time I've seen that term

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok newb question. What is candling? First time I've seen that term
Candling, or de-candling, is a refinement technique used in more developed JBPs among others, where the new spring growth is completely cut back to last year's growth, usually about half way through the growing season. Do a search here...lots of info to read.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yep, the tree was named "Fudo". Great little tree. I think the issue was in the 40s.
@neemoose On candle cutting, definitely do a search. Here is a little reading:
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/page/3/?s=Candle&submit=Search

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dave, did you drop a branch?

<ba da bing>

It has more of a Chinese Lingnan style to it than Japanese. Very cool!

I think it’s time you went pot shopping! Need Matty O’s number? Lol!!!

(Oh, never mind, I forgot you have him on speed dial!)

Top Bottom