Japanese Black Pine Suggestions

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I will be styling this tree in the winter, does anybody have any ideas for this?

100_2055JPG.jpg

100_1647.jpg

100_2398.jpg

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd start by trying to get some movement in the bottom half of that trunk.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How big is the trunk? Moving the trunk can be done a couple different ways... though my favorite is not for the faint of heart... ;)

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The trunk is 5.5 inches. The top of tree from the pot is 24 inches.

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Just as a point of interest, when talking about the trunk size on a tree, it's best to use the caliper size or diameter in inches, it's much easier to envision the size in your minds eye, unless you happen to live somewhere other than the US........

keep it green,
Harry

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
5.5 inch circumference. For people who understand geometry, that would mean the diameter is 1.75 inches.

Last edited:

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
5.5 inch circumference. For people who understand geometry, that would mean the diameter is 1.75 inches.

You're full of wit lately aren't you? These kind statements will get you showered with help everytime.

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You're full of wit lately aren't you?

No, I just told you the information you asked for.

5 inches in diameter or circumfrence?

If people don't have any suggestions for this than I will take it to a different forum.

One thing I don't understand is how 150 some posts can be about a tool, but people don't really like to help with actual bonsai.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You need to think about putting some movement into the bottom 2/3 of the trunk. You are not going to be able to do this with wire, it is going to take something more aggressive. There are three methods that come to mind. One, and perhaps the most practical and safe is to apply a trunk jack. Two: Use re bar and guide wires to bend the trunk into position. Three: Hollow a portion of the trunk to reduce the mass and bend it with wire. None of these techniques should be attempted by someone with very little experience. It takes a couple of years to gain the knowledge and courage to be stupid enough to hollow out the trunk or apply re bar; just joking. The trunk jack is your best option.

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You need to think about putting some movement into the bottom 2/3 of the trunk. You are not going to be able to do this with wire, it is going to take something more aggressive. There are three methods that come to mind. One, and perhaps the most practical and safe is to apply a trunk jack. Two: Use re bar and guide wires to bend the trunk into position. Three: Hollow a portion of the trunk to reduce the mass and bend it with wire. None of these techniques should be attempted by someone with very little experience. It takes a couple of years to gain the knowledge and courage to be stupid enough to hollow out the trunk or apply re bar; just joking. The trunk jack is your best option.

Thanks, I will reasearch that option.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd start by trying to get some movement in the bottom half of that trunk.

Appearantly mine wasn't advice. Knowing the size of things plays a large part in giving advice. Knowing how to ask for it plays a large part in receiving it.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I went for a smoke and considered the nice straight trunk,could you drill out the trunk for bending purposes?

Then fill ill the hole with beeswax or something similar?

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This trunk is no bigger than the pine jason and I turned into a pretzel. even accounting for the leverage we had with the longer trunk, there was no advantage by the time we got to the bottom. In addition that tree brings another lesson with it. DO NOT use bending jacks. They will smash the bark and kill the cambium below while the hooks cut the sh&t out of the other side. Rebar is good but you and your dad should be able to work this tree together with one holding and one bending. Trust me it can be done.

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, I just told you the information you asked for.

If people don't have any suggestions for this than I will take it to a different forum.

One thing I don't understand is how 150 some posts can be about a tool, but people don't really like to help with actual bonsai.

hahahaha so true man
150 posts on basically a fancy pair of scissors....

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"f people don't have any suggestions for this than I will take it to a different forum.

One thing I don't understand is how 150 some posts can be about a tool, but people don't really like to help with actual bonsai."

Um, you've been given pretty adequate advice on what needs to be done by a few people who know what they're talking about. The tree either needs more movement, or it doesn't. It's your decision. Now act on it--if you and the tree are ready...

Getting snippy about people not piling on here doesn't help your cause...

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I agree Mark, what does he expect? With all due respects is it possible that this grower knows so little that he does not know what questions to ask? The simple answer is that the trunk needs to have some movement to it. What is so vague or indifferent about that. Until that is achieved, or ignored there really isn't much else to tell. In bonsai there is no magic formula other than hard work and timing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This trunk is no bigger than the pine jason and I turned into a pretzel. even accounting for the leverage we had with the longer trunk, there was no advantage by the time we got to the bottom. In addition that tree brings another lesson with it. DO NOT use bending jacks. They will smash the bark and kill the cambium below while the hooks cut the sh&t out of the other side. Rebar is good but you and your dad should be able to work this tree together with one holding and one bending. Trust me it can be done.

Steve,
Did you guys post that work online anywhere? Do you have a link? I think it would be very helpful and appropriate here.

Chris

Top Bottom