Japanese Black Pine??

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes. And there is nothing wrong with that.

I enjoy exploring the obscure and the unknown. I like understanding why. I know enough to know that the use of cut paste on pines and Akadama in your substrate is not magical and that it has nothing to do with why your trees are great. Your trees are great because they once were and you've become quite adept at returning them to their former glory.

@Frog had a question. I just tried to answer it. Then play along.

'til later ...
It’s true I do like to buy old bonsai that used to have “better days”, and restore them to their former glory, I also work with rough stock, and turn it into bonsai. About the only thing I don’t do is srtart from seed or seedlings and grow them out.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'm glad that you guys who know that it is impossible to grow JBP from cuttings have not been talking loud enough for my pines to hear because I've been striking cuttings from Japanese white, red and black pines for quite a few years. They are not easy to grow and strike rates are low but as I don't have access to other sources low strike rate on cuttings is my only option. At least some pines CAN be grown from cuttings even if you wish to believe otherwise.

Younger material definitely strikes better than older wood. Immature growth is even better and occasional hard pruning can sometimes give me immature growth to make cuttings.
Also over here I strike pine cuttings under auto mist system. maybe I have different misting to N.Z.?

None of that is going to help the OP propagate from that tree though and I also think you'd be far better off to invest a few $ to get something already started to save a lot of time and probably frustration.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm glad that you guys who know that it is impossible to grow JBP from cuttings have not been talking loud enough for my pines to hear because I've been striking cuttings from Japanese white, red and black pines for quite a few years. They are not easy to grow and strike rates are low but as I don't have access to other sources low strike rate on cuttings is my only option. At least some pines CAN be grown from cuttings even if you wish to believe otherwise.

Younger material definitely strikes better than older wood. Immature growth is even better and occasional hard pruning can sometimes give me immature growth to make cuttings.
Also over here I strike pine cuttings under auto mist system. maybe I have different misting to N.Z.?

None of that is going to help the OP propagate from that tree though and I also think you'd be far better off to invest a few $ to get something already started to save a lot of time and probably frustration.

Hi Shibui,
I am inexperienced at pine cutting prop, and have only tried a couple of times. Failure came from a wet prop house and lots of mist rather than very intermittent mist (drier environment to keep cuttings alive etc).
Anyway, no JBP or other pine material here so I grow my own too.
Charles

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yet another reason to NEVER have a cat.😜
Good point!

Part of my motivation of buying George’s airlayer was to see if I liked the product. I had read his write up of how he did them, so I wanted to get my hands on an example to see if this technique produced something that I would like to try myself.

And after getting it, and growing it for a year, I determined that I would rather acquire JBP were further along. I could see that it was still rather delicate, and would take a while before the roots really got strong, and then would need several years in the ground to develop a trunk.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It’s true I do like to buy old bonsai that used to have “better days”, and restore them to their former glory, I also work with rough stock, and turn it into bonsai. About the only thing I don’t do is srtart from seed or seedlings and grow them out.
Do I recall correctly, that you've been doing this for about 50 years now?

Frog

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I’m gonna buy some seedlings to play with. Also, if anyone is wanting to part with a black, white or red pine let me know.

Top Bottom