Japanese Black Pine

Tea

Seed
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I don't have too much experience with Japanese Black Pine here in Houston, TX but what I need is extremely important because it could cost me thousands of dollars in the near future. I'm purchasing 3 Japanese Black Pines and 2 Olive bonsai trees and 4 Juniper bonsais that is the size of a refrigerator about 7-8 feet tall. These trees are coming from a Japanese Nursery in California and have been trained and trimmed into bonsai shape. They are quite old and will be placed in my backyard. What I need to know is that; will these trees survive here in Houston, TX. I've seen the black pine trees in Houston that are similar but big tall trees and i'm thinking it's maybe a family of the same Japanese Black Pines that i'm getting since they both have long still needles. I'm also getting the Olive tree version of bonsai from the same nursery. From what sources that I have gathered from the internet, Japanese black pine should do well in Houston climate as well as the Olives with the exception that special care are needed for the winter months of Houston. I'm also considering growing them in large container in the event that we have an extreme cold winter like the one this year and that the trees could be relocated to a safer place. Please help. Thank You.

Attachments

• bonsai_21.jpg
    bonsai_21.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 59
  • bonsai_29.jpg
    bonsai_29.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 61
  • bonsai_33.jpg
    bonsai_33.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 56
  • bonsai_36.jpg
    bonsai_36.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 60

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@markyscott grows JBP in Houston no problem. @Adair M grows olive in GA & Boon grows olive in Sacramento, so they can stand the heat and the humidity that Houston has independently. I'd suspect there wouldn't be any issues with either.
@markyscott has a very special olive with Ume grafted on it!

D

Deleted member 32750

What nursery is this? I’ve been looking for a source of Niwaki black pines like these

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you don't have much experience with JBP, why are you spending so much on those trees? That might be a better problem to evaluate.
... not to say that I haven't done similar things in the past (and present) myself... :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

Are you talking about putting these in your landscaping? You should not have any problem with Japanese Black Pine or Olives in Houston, even in pots, and if they are in your landscaping they will be even hardier.

For what it's worth, it is relatively easy to prune olive to shape in a landscape tree. However the same cannot be said for Japanese black pine. Either you will need to do it, or you will need to pay someone who knows. Otherwise it will revert into a tree shape in short order.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The JBP and olive trees do fine in Houston. I leave mine out all winter - with the exception of the times when we have 70 degrees one day and 20 the next. All my trees go into the garage during those cold snaps. It’s not because they can’t tolerate the temperatures - it’s because they’re not really dormant and I don’t want to take any chances. That only happens once or twice a decade though, so it’s never been a problem for me.

What kind of juniper are you planning to buy?

- S

Top Bottom