Japanese black pine

Sephiro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hey guys,
first time posting!
I am quite confident in caring for my carmona, serissa, BRT and maple, but recently received a japanese black pine as a gift from my mom (thanks Mom!).
I had a chance to talk to the vendor, and he recomended cutting all the new growth on june 15th and then plucking needles along trunk in autumn. I have done quite a bit of reading, forum stalking and youtubing and understand that it will have a 2nd flush, which will help with ramification. My hesitation is as follows:
In the videos or posts that I have seen, the trees seemed to have clear candles growing from the tips, whereas mine seem to be somewhere between branches and candles. First conifer? yup! If I remember what the gentleman said, I remove all green growth back to the brown essentially, It just seems dramatic to me. Again, this is my first conifer. Ill attach some pictures with what I believe to be the right course of action. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
-Jay

Attachments

• image3_LI.jpg
    image3_LI.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 154
  • image1_LI.jpg
    image1_LI.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 133
  • image0 (1)_LI.jpg
    image0 (1)_LI.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 152

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What they said. Pre bonsai not even really development stage yet and LONG way from refinement technique. First lesson learn to keep alive🤗.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I hope to be going through this pine learning process soon. That is a great first pine, it’s got a few nice lower branches too. Hug your mom for that one! ALSO…. Welcome to the nut house!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Definitely too immature to be decandling.
Not sure if your vendor is another beginner with enough knowledge to try to impress beginners or if they are just reselling with little practical bonsai knowledge. Both are quite common.

Try to find info on DEVELOPING pines as bonsai rather than the more common info on pine maintenance techniques.

BTW, adding a location to your profile will allow others here to make better suggestions based on your climate and location.

Sephiro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Definitely too immature to be decandling.
Not sure if your vendor is another beginner with enough knowledge to try to impress beginners or if they are just reselling with little practical bonsai knowledge. Both are quite common.

Try to find info on DEVELOPING pines as bonsai rather than the more common info on pine maintenance techniques.

BTW, adding a location to your profile will allow others here to make better suggestions based on your climate and location.
Thanks for the advice, I’ve bookmarked a post on this forum with a nice lengthy read. I’ll try and find some time to fill out my profile, haven’t thought of it! Cheers

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greeting, Cold-Wanderer!

The Woody Dwarves began the timpani cadence when we heard the hooves round the bend... Dig your roots into the fertile riverbed.. and stay a while.

This place is a wonderful communal library, FILLED with knowledge and experience. Read what you need... then start fillin' your own shelves.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

🤓

(PS.. get over to the TinyTree Study Group Subforum, It's "cold folk" heavy.)

What zone are you in (Usda)? 2?... 3?..

Sephiro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Greeting, Cold-Wanderer!

The Woody Dwarves began the timpani cadence when we heard the hooves round the bend... Dig your roots into the fertile riverbed.. and stay a while.

This place is a wonderful communal library, FILLED with knowledge and experience. Read what you need... then start fillin' your own shelves.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

🤓

(PS.. get over to the TinyTree Study Group Subforum, It's "cold folk" heavy.)

What zone are you in (Usda)? 2?... 3?..
Hey and thanks for the welcome! I’ll definitely check that group out.
According to a quick google search for Montreal, I’m in zone 5a. Hot humid summers and cold humid winters. We go from -38C to 35C (peak) and anywhere between.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey and thanks for the welcome! I’ll definitely check that group out.
According to a quick google search for Montreal, I’m in zone 5a. Hot humid summers and cold humid winters. We go from -38C to 35C (peak) and anywhere between.
Nice USDA says 5a for me too..

But AHS heat index is 2!

I live in a.. weird area.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Time for a six pack....of long necks!

Sorce

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I started Three JBP's in 1976 by planting the seedlings into the open ground. My dad's back field the soil was perfect for pines, as it was a glacial morain with sandy mostly gravel and small rocks.
In about 3yrs I did some initial pruning to keep the ability for back buds.
After Ten years I took them out and began a regimen of simple style in oversize containers. Within a few more years with healthy root systems they went into bonsai containers.
Here's one: about twenty years in.....my student, Dr.Vora has it. I still have the other two.....

Attachments

• MVC-006F.JPG
    MVC-006F.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 81

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi All,

Recently joined here at bonsai nut and looking for advise on my japanese black pine. I bought this tree in February this year, i live in South Africa with relatively high summer temperature (25 to 35 degrees Celsius on avg). Tree is mostly untouched since i bought it, i just added the wire to attempt the "cage wire" technique. So i'm a bit concerned regarding the yellowing tips of the needles, everything if read indicates either a fungus issue or possibly staying wet too long, so i've been considering repotting is in a colander with a fast draining medium, it's currently in what looks like 100% silica sand or something similar, which gets very hard when drying out. So any advice on what this issue could be, would be helpful plus whether I should attempt the repotting. I also add pictures of the candles, i'm not sure whether this is the right time to repot it. And then final question, i've seen the clear sap/resin occasionally forming on the tree, but i cannot see any holes or bugs on the tree, is this normal or should i investigate more thoroughly for bugs?

Attachments

• 20220729_122424.jpg
    20220729_122424.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220729_122411.jpg
    20220729_122411.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220729_122401.jpg
    20220729_122401.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 19

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Hi All,

Recently joined here at bonsai nut and looking for advise on my japanese black pine. I bought this tree in February this year, i live in South Africa with relatively high summer temperature (25 to 35 degrees Celsius on avg). Tree is mostly untouched since i bought it, i just added the wire to attempt the "cage wire" technique. So i'm a bit concerned regarding the yellowing tips of the needles, everything if read indicates either a fungus issue or possibly staying wet too long, so i've been considering repotting is in a colander with a fast draining medium, it's currently in what looks like 100% silica sand or something similar, which gets very hard when drying out. So any advice on what this issue could be, would be helpful plus whether I should attempt the repotting. I also add pictures of the candles, i'm not sure whether this is the right time to repot it. And then final question, i've seen the clear sap/resin occasionally forming on the tree, but i cannot see any holes or bugs on the tree, is this normal or should i investigate more thoroughly for bugs?
@eugenev2 maybe start a new thread for your tree, you’ll get more traction if you have your own thread

Top Bottom