Japanese black pine !

jhaneez

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zon
Hello everyone happy spring !
I am new to bonsai and i want to repot and wire my little tree JBP . Any suggestions recommendations are greatly appreciated.
What kind of wire and size to use ?
Thanks a lot .

Attachments

• C9ADE3BD-99E0-4120-B9CB-55AE85F0F51C.jpeg
    C9ADE3BD-99E0-4120-B9CB-55AE85F0F51C.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 164

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello everyone happy spring !
I am new to bonsai and i want to repot and wire my little tree JBP . Any suggestions recommendations are greatly appreciated.
What kind of wire and size to use ?
Thanks a lot .
Welcome! There is an option to fill out your geographic information in your profile (upper right corner if you're on a computer). It'll help people give you better advice.

It doesn't look like your candles have started elongating for the year so you're probably OK to repot. I would try to get a container that's wider but not much deeper. Pond baskets make for great containers, they are available at most nurseries and home improvement stores.

Spend some time on here looking around at the previous threads, JBP are one of the most popular types of bonsai so there are probably 500 threads on black pines. One of my favorites is this one:

As for the wire the easiest is aluminum wire. All bonsai shops will carry it.

I hate to be negative but your tree is going to be an uphill battle. As you can see from the above thread, to get a "good" bonsai you have to start wiring them very young to get interesting movement into the trunk. Your tree looks health but it's already gotten too much wood in the trunk so I don't think you'll be able to bend it, especially not lower on the trunk (I could be wrong). That really only leaves you with the option of a formal upright, but even those have to be grown in a way where you let them extend then cut off a large leader.

If you think you might be interested in bonsai I wouldn't spend too much time on trying to create this tree into a bonsai. You might be better off starting with something else. JBP are very tricky in the sense that they don't really back bud. So, you have to have a pretty good plan in place before you start growing them because you don't really get do-overs. Sorry!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That first branch is your future tree. Wire movement into that. The thick straight trunk will be used as sacrifice. not sure what size copper wire you will need but best to order a few different sizes.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There's only the needles for scale but I'd guess that trunk is less than finger thick. Pines are quite flexible so I'd still bend that trunk if needed but I agree that bends created by pruning to a branch look much more natural AND also give the new trunk some badly needed taper.

Wire size depends how stiff the branch/trunk is. That one will probably need quite thick wire. Al wire is easier to apply but also not as strong as copper so need thicker Al than copper to do the same bend.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That first branch is your future tree. Wire movement into that. The thick straight trunk will be used as sacrifice. not sure what size copper wire you will need but best to order a few different sizes.
Exactly correct observation☺️. What zone: 3, 4? Once last killing frost past is time to repot unlesss having greenhouse to protect tree. IF repotting tree into growing container to develop decent trunk suggest wiring first branch(future trunk)before repot so repotted roots will not be destroyed by manhandling of wiring. Simple advice for baby tree in early development;). Study, study, study. In one year maybe ready for beginning some work on baby tree.

jhaneez

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zon
Thank you very much . Looking forward for a beautiful bonsai 😃

jhaneez

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zon
Exactly correct observation☺️. What zone: 3, 4? Once last killing frost past is time to repot unlesss having greenhouse to protect tree. IF repotting tree into growing container to develop decent trunk suggest wiring first branch(future trunk)before repot so repotted roots will not be destroyed by manhandling of wiring. Simple advice for baby tree in early development;). Study, study, study. In one year maybe ready for beginning some work on baby tree.
Thanks a lot ! Yes i will continue to study study study and to have patience . I am located in Zone 5 A

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
By now it should be apparent that the answers to your question will vary based on the experience and training of the respondents. Also there will be more than one right answer or at least alternative approaches.

I would suggest the following.
1. Introducing movement is the most important task at this stage of development.
2. The second most important step is to get the tree healthier with more foliage after the pruning that has been done.
3.Unless a repot is required I would put that third on the list. ( better success with wiring and increasing foliage this season if repot is not required.

If you can advise me on the trunk thickness, I can suggest appropriate wire to use. Also, I would consider wiring the four lower branches initially and not settling on developing the tree from the first branch only. The reason for this is that after removal of the apical sacrifice many more shoots and branches lower down will be available for design possibilities in the future. Your tree is young and a lot more possibilities are available in development.
Young pines begin with few lower branches and can develop many with proper growing and pruning techniques.
Therefore I suggest introducing movement wherever possible. This will be dependant on the current trunk thickness and bending techniques employed.

I have included a couple of pictures to try and clarify the above. First picture shows typical pine growth pattern. Second picture shows a wiring approach to further development. third picture show increasing lower branch growth for future design possibilities. Your tree is at the beginning stages of this process. The current trunk thickness is the deciding factor for how to proceed, what size of wire or bending technique that may be applied. Hope that makes sense.

Attachments

• IMG_1560.JPG
    IMG_1560.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1561.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1651.JPG
    IMG_1651.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 107

jhaneez

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zon
Welcome! There is an option to fill out your geographic information in your profile (upper right corner if you're on a computer). It'll help people give you better advice.

It doesn't look like your candles have started elongating for the year so you're probably OK to repot. I would try to get a container that's wider but not much deeper. Pond baskets make for great containers, they are available at most nurseries and home improvement stores.

Spend some time on here looking around at the previous threads, JBP are one of the most popular types of bonsai so there are probably 500 threads on black pines. One of my favorites is this one:

I hate to be negative but your tree is going to be an uphill battle. As you can see from the above thread, to get a "good" bonsai you have to start wiring them very young to get interesting movement into the trunk. Your tree looks health but it's already gotten too much wood in the trunk so I don't think you'll be able to bend it, especially not lower on the trunk (I could be wrong). That really only leaves you with the option of a formal upright, but even those have to be grown in a way where you let them extend then cut off a large leader.

If you think you might be interested in bonsai I wouldn't spend too much time on trying to create this tree into a bonsai. You might be better off starting with something else. JBP are very tricky in the sense that they don't really back bud. So, you have to have a pretty good plan in place before you start growing them because you don't really get do-overs. Sorry!

Thanks a lot for the input . I am learning slowly.

jhaneez

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zon
By now it should be apparent that the answers to your question will vary based on the experience and training of the respondents. Also there will be more than one right answer or at least alternative approaches.

I would suggest the following.
1. Introducing movement is the most important task at this stage of development.
2. The second most important step is to get the tree healthier with more foliage after the pruning that has been done.
3.Unless a repot is required I would put that third on the list. ( better success with wiring and increasing foliage this season if repot is not required.

If you can advise me on the trunk thickness, I can suggest appropriate wire to use. Also, I would consider wiring the four lower branches initially and not settling on developing the tree from the first branch only. The reason for this is that after removal of the apical sacrifice many more shoots and branches lower down will be available for design possibilities in the future. Your tree is young and a lot more possibilities are available in development.
Young pines begin with few lower branches and can develop many with proper growing and pruning techniques.
Therefore I suggest introducing movement wherever possible. This will be dependant on the current trunk thickness and bending techniques employed.

I have included a couple of pictures to try and clarify the above. First picture shows typical pine growth pattern. Second picture shows a wiring approach to further development. third picture show increasing lower branch growth for future design possibilities. Your tree is at the beginning stages of this process. The current trunk thickness is the deciding factor for how to proceed, what size of wire or bending technique that may be applied. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks a lot for your input ! I will start as soon as the weather permits. I am learning a lot !
Have a good day !

jhaneez

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zon
Thank you for your input. Yes i ordered different sizes .

jhaneez

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zon
Anytime. Sorry, looks like I was the only negative one of the bunch 🤷‍♂️ . Get some wire on that first branch and let us know how it goes!
Don’t be sorry 😞 ! I will let you know of the progress. Very helpful input .

jhaneez

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zon
Hello everyone. Thanks a lot for your reply on my questions last April. This is the end result after 5 months .

Top Bottom