Japanese Black Pine

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
watch out for damping off, fungus attack the seedlings when they are young like that, use a systemic fungicide every second/third week. what soil are you using? looks like straight silica with a bit of palm fiber ?

best regards
Herman

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
These are scans from my Kyosuki Gun book on pines. These are some of the best books on bonsai I own and I can't read any of them.
I agree Gun's series of books on shohin are among the best. I have his whole set of 10 volumes. I read somewhere the first volume has been translated into French, and hopefully will be in English someday.

Naoki

Sapling
Reaction score
watch out for damping off, fungus attack the seedlings when they are young like that, use a systemic fungicide every second/third week. what soil are you using? looks like straight silica with a bit of palm fiber ?

best regards
Herman

Not sure how damp it can take, ordered humidity meter and waiting for 1~2 months to arrive from china :( ... So far no issue of fungus attack or whatsoever except my slippery hand that drop the pot when moving it :( totally exposed out the root.. replace back and add some sand+water (pic 1)... notice the soil inside kindda moist also one of the leaf bend off :( ... but it's growing fine.... Wait for few more days to see whether it lives or die... I haven't apply fungicide before on this seedling... you think i should do? I place it indoor with lighting and fan for lower temp (28-30)... waiting for it to grow bigger only I start to place it outside. I'm using burnt clay (pic 2) and sand (pic 3) or some call course sand. These stuff can easily get from nearby nursery except sand that's from hardware shops.

Attachments

• 20151121_234457.jpg
    20151121_234457.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20151121_234502.jpg
    20151121_234502.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 37
  • 20151121_234509.jpg
    20151121_234509.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 39

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 18907
I have been training this JBP from nursery seedling imported from Taiwan in tropical Malaysia. Because not many branch available i juz make the best trainning in this shape. What style should this tree be categorize.
Time and development of trunk, roots and branching. A good beginning you have made with lots of contortions in all dimensions. Be not discouraged as time will improve tree and you.;)

Naoki

Sapling
Reaction score
Ah..... RIP.... root rot away... soil too wet i think... big mistake.. my last and only seedling :(

Attachments

• 20151124_180857.jpg
    20151124_180857.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 24

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When starting from seed one should not get attached to anything for a few years at least. You are going to loose a few hear and there along the way. I would recommend starting with 50 to 100 seeds. You can always cull the heard so to speak if you end up with too many.

When I start seeds I keep them in full sun from the time they are planted. It will save you from a lot of fungal issues but it means they need to be checked frequently to insure they have not dried out.

Naoki

Sapling
Reaction score
When starting from seed one should not get attached to anything for a few years at least. You are going to loose a few hear and there along the way. I would recommend starting with 50 to 100 seeds. You can always cull the heard so to speak if you end up with too many.

When I start seeds I keep them in full sun from the time they are planted. It will save you from a lot of fungal issues but it means they need to be checked frequently to insure they have not dried out.

Thanks for the hints, will keep that in mind. Planting it inside my house as it's raining season now. Might put extra 2 more bulbs for more lighting :D hope i don't burn other seedlings..

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
Ah..... RIP.... root rot away... soil too wet i think... big mistake.. my last and only seedling :(

the root rotting away is called dampening off, and is caused by a fungus attacking the roots. yes I think applying a bit of fungicide will help your survival rate, and planting a lot will also compensate.

best regards
Herman

Naoki

Sapling
Reaction score
the root rotting away is called dampening off, and is caused by a fungus attacking the roots. yes I think applying a bit of fungicide will help your survival rate, and planting a lot will also compensate.

best regards
Herman

Thanks for the advice, might just water them once every 2 days.. hand itch like to water them too much, ahha. also better in preventing wet soil.. second batch seeds all hit by fungus i think... haha all dead.. waiting for new batch of seeds...

Top Bottom