Japanese Black pines in S. Texas?

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have recently decided to try and grow a JPB bonsai down here in south Texas.I seen some dang nice ones on the internet that were grown in southern Florida.I've researched some and found that they like full sun and very good drainage.I can provide both of those.Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

I'm not a spring chicken anymore so I don't want to wait forever.I was thinking about getting a pretrained one but am hesitant because of the money required.Regular nursery ones seem to have very long internodes.Is there a way to speed up the process of development of decent black pine bonsai?

Yes,I know I could google my questions,but I'd rather garner information from people that I can ask questions of.

thanks in advance,

andy

cbobgo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
there are very few shortcuts in bonsai. If you don't have the time, then you have to spend the money.

Your best bet would probably be some pre-bonsai stock that has been grown for bonsai, but hasn't actually been styled yet. That would be a good compromise. More expensive than regular nursery stock, but closer to being a finished tree.

Good luck.

- bob

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My black pines seem to love the heat. I have never seen one look remotely stressed in full dry heat that exceeds 90 degrees (over 100 some days) for day after day. Just make sure the roots don't sit in water and you should be fine.

I don't know details about importing trees in Texas, so I'll let others comment about that.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
2 steps ahead of you Andy :D
Cabrera has some for a very reasonable price.
And you know that I know what I am talking about!
Also have talked to William for a few for you as well.
Hey, I want company with my pines in South Texas.:p
Irene

I think this might help
www.orchidsandbonsai.com
Phillip Drilling

Last edited:
Top Bottom