Japanese Black Pines, Olives and Junipers Tree Bonsai

Tea

Seed
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I don't have too much experience with Japanese Black Pine here in Houston, TX but what I need is extremely important because it could cost me thousands of dollars in the near future. I'm purchasing 3 Japanese Black Pines and 2 Olive bonsai trees and 4 Juniper bonsais that is the size of a refrigerator about 7-8 feet tall. These trees are coming from a Japanese Nursery in California and have been trained and trimmed into bonsai shape. They are quite old and will be placed in my backyard. What I need to know is that; will these trees survive here in Houston, TX. I've seen the black pine trees in Houston that are similar but big tall trees and i'm thinking it's maybe a family of the same Japanese Black Pines that i'm getting since they both have long still needles. I'm also getting the Olive tree version of bonsai from the same nursery. From what sources that I have gathered from the internet, Japanese black pine should do well in Houston climate as well as the Olives with the exception that special care are needed for the winter months of Houston. I'm also considering growing them in large container in the event that we have an extreme cold winter like the one this year and that the trees could be relocated to a safer place. Please help. Thank You.

Attachments

• bonsai_21.jpg
    bonsai_21.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 24
  • bonsai_29.jpg
    bonsai_29.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 21
  • bonsai_33.jpg
    bonsai_33.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 22
  • bonsai_36.jpg
    bonsai_36.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 24

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
All three should do fine in Houston. Fungus may be a problem, but that's what fungicides are for. Tall plants can be blown over in high winds, might need to consider heavy pots or some sort of tie down depending on where you place your topiaries in the yard.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm new to this forum and I don't have too much experience with Japanese Black Pine here in Houston, TX but what I need is extremely important because it could cost me thousands of dollars in the near future. I'm purchasing 3 Japanese Black Pines and 2 Olive bonsai trees and 4 Juniper bonsais that is the size of a refrigerator about 7-8 feet tall. These trees are coming from a Japanese Nursery in California and have been trained and trimmed into bonsai shape. They are quite old and will be placed in my backyard. What I need to know is that; will these trees survive here in Houston, TX. I've seen the black pine trees in Houston that are similar but big tall trees and i'm thinking it's maybe a family of the same Japanese Black Pines that i'm getting since they both have long still needles. I'm also getting the Olive tree version of bonsai from the same nursery. From what sources that I have gathered from the internet, Japanese black pine should do well in Houston climate as well as the Olives with the exception that special care are needed for the winter months of Houston. I'm also considering growing them in large container in the event that we have an extreme cold winter like the one this year and that the trees could be relocated to a safer place. Please help. Thank You.
Sends a PM to @markyscott here at BonsauNut. He’s recently retired and doesn’t have anything to do! I’m sure he’ll be happy to help you plant them!

Just be sure to have plenty of Shiners on hand! Planting trees is thirsty work!

Top Bottom