Japanese Blueberry (Elaeocarpus)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Interesting choice of species, I'm not familiar with it.

Nice taper between first segment and the segment above the first branch.

How large a tree do you want? What is the current diameter of the trunk an inch or two above the roots? Is it large enough in diameter for your future design plans?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
How well do they back bud and handle root work? My father has one that needs branches redone.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I like these, I was nursery hunting for one but didn’t find much. I love how the leaves get red. Almost like actual fall. Lol where’d you find this?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I am interested to see an Elaeocarpus species designated as Japanese. We have a species native to Australia - Elaeocarpus reticulatus - and I had (wrongly) assumed these were endemic.
Lovely fringed bell flowers in spring and summer followed by blue fruits.
On the strength of this thread I should try to grow some for bonsai here but ours is a little frost tender so marginal in my location.

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I am interested to see an Elaeocarpus species designated as Japanese. We have a species native to Australia - Elaeocarpus reticulatus - and I had (wrongly) assumed these were endemic.
Lovely fringed bell flowers in spring and summer followed by blue fruits.
On the strength of this thread I should try to grow some for bonsai here but ours is a little frost tender so marginal in my location.

Elaepcarpus decipiens

Top Bottom