Japanese Boxwood: Double or Single Trunk?

Drekula

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi Everyone,

I am brand new to bonsai and have fallen in love with boxwoods. I have read that boxwoods are very slow-growing, so when I saw a tree this size at a local nursery, I was excited. I am seeking advice on my end design for this bonsai. Should I keep the large first branch and create a double trunk design, or should I make it into a Jin or hollow and stick to a single trunk style?

Also, which side do you suggest be the front?

Finally, is the nebari workable?IMG_2474.JPGIMG_2473.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy, where Boxwood is a euphemism.

This pic shows the difference in trunk size best, so if keeping both your front may be around here.

Capture+_2020-11-28-14-31-02.png

But I'd like to it from the blue side to determine those 2 branches.

Next mid summer I'd make these red cuts. And when what pops below (green) is strong, make the yellow cuts.

That way your proportions will be in line and you can start developing final branches.

They grow "slow" but develop fast.

You can clip and grow everything. Cutting before Spring growth starts and before Post solstice growth starts.

The roots can work but you'll have to see what you're working with a little deeper. Not soon.

Nothing soon. Ever.

Sorce

Drekula

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the advice! I'll make those cuts next summer. Here is the tree from the perspective of the blue arrow:
I was planning on completely removing the branch to the left because it functioned a little like an eye poker.

Attachments

• IMG_2475.JPG
    IMG_2475.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 29

Drekula

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome to Crazy, where Boxwood is a euphemism.

This pic shows the difference in trunk size best, so if keeping both your front may be around here.

View attachment 341836

But I'd like to it from the blue side to determine those 2 branches.

Next mid summer I'd make these red cuts. And when what pops below (green) is strong, make the yellow cuts.

That way your proportions will be in line and you can start developing final branches.

They grow "slow" but develop fast.

You can clip and grow everything. Cutting before Spring growth starts and before Post solstice growth starts.

The roots can work but you'll have to see what you're working with a little deeper. Not soon.

Nothing soon. Ever.

Sorce
"Not soon. Nothing soon. Ever." is probably the best bonsai advice I have heard so far.

Top Bottom