Japanese Boxwood Forest Re-design

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I created the first planting of these trees in 2015 from 6 Japanese boxwood I purchased on clearance from Lowes, due to their wonderful root spread. I was inspired by John Geanangels Boxwood forest and thought Id give it a go. But through the years, the forest has never taken on the look I've wanted and needs to have a complete over haul to take on a much more pleasing appearance.

When purchased, I knew the trees themselves needed work, and figured I would do so after they were planted together. Since they were purchased in fall 2014, I put them in the ground, pots and al,l through winter to keep them alive. In 2015, I put them together in a large saucer initially. While the base of each tree looked great, the canopy was straight broccoli and each tree was far to similar in size. I also planted them a bit too evenly spaced at first. I needed some variation moving forward.

The same year 2015 I planted a group of 3 much smaller trees to balance out the design with proper asymmetry and trunk variation. 1 died. in 2017 I purchased a much thicker and larger tree to be the new focal point and primary tree. I put that one in the mix in 2018 and planted the whole group and a custom built box and I could start to see the balance I was going for. But it was still off. The box kept the elevation of the trees bases at roughly the same height but I decided that I wanted to add height in the landscape to the composition and the following year, I planned on doing so, using muck and more substrate and a much more shallow pot.

In spring 2019 The mound i planted them on looks contrived and fake. The root balls of each need to be reduced to randomize the layout better. The mound also made it harder to show the trees proper height differences and take advantage of that difference. But even then, too many of the trees are too similar in size in both height and trunk size. The pot I planted them in was far too small and should never have been used. It forced me to cram things together, throwing the angles all out of wack. I wired out many of the trees to begin building a far more pleasing structure, but the overall composition still looks messy. I purchased 2 more smaller J. boxwood this last summer and began prepping them to replace 2 of the larger trees in the planting and to begin a full overhaul of the forest itself.

Some trees will be removed and planted in their own pot, others moved around and rootballs cut to get them closer together. I decided to build a slab out of concrete to emulate the undulation and land flow I wanted and to also wire the slab and trees to a much larger pot. The slab was to be made to look like the granite rock forms I find in the foot hills of my neighboring Sandia Mountains, with cottonwood trees growing in and around. I purchased the pot from a seller I found on facebook. Its a 23"x14" chinese made pot that was relatively inexpensive and had just the amount of detail I was going for to pair with the slab I made. I did a simple drawing at the end of this last year that has been my inspiration so far. Final composition will end up a bit different but you can see the idea. For funs sake, I made a tunnel or cave of sorts that will go underneath the rock formation. Not necessarily something you'd see in the Sandias, but whatever.

here it is in its first year of creation in its original saucer. You can see the 3 small trees that I added on the far left

Here it is 2 years later in its box with the new larger tree front and off center right and the 2 remaining small trees far left after 1 died.

Here it is in september 2019. There is a tree in the way back middle that will become its own planting. The tree on the far right will also probably be replaced or moved. All of the rocks will be removed as well.

Here was my insparation

And here is the rock/pot combo I will be using

I will also be doing a map or layout of the trees before hand to be fully prepared for the planting. The soil, moss and muck will travel from the slab in to the pot area and underneath the slab.

Updates to come, spring 2020!!

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the choice of the secondary pot. What are your plans for the space between the bottom of the rock and edge of the larger pot?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the choice of the secondary pot. What are your plans for the space between the bottom of the rock and edge of the larger pot?
Thanks! Yeah, I feel like many of the best rock plantings I've seen have a secondary pot the composition is planted in to. This Mirai Video is essentially my tutorial for attaching the rock to the pot, and trees to the rock. The rock will be elevated on wood blocks and pumice will fill in the voids underneath. In theory, the rock will be locked in to place with the pot and should only move as a unit. If I do everything right, i shouldn't have to repot for well over a decade or ever.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
though my forest will look much different. This image was a big inspiration for me. I like the way the soil and moss spills in to the pot. I imagine the roots grew from the rock down in to the pot. 280047

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks! Yeah, I feel like many of the best rock plantings I've seen have a secondary pot the composition is planted in to. This Mirai Video is essentially my tutorial for attaching the rock to the pot, and trees to the rock. The rock will be elevated on wood blocks and pumice will fill in the voids underneath. In theory, the rock will be locked in to place with the pot and should only move as a unit. If I do everything right, i shouldn't have to repot for well over a decade or ever.

Nice. I know some people like the water or dry pot, but I'm partial to the soil also. I'm excited for you😁

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing and looking forward to see it develop.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
OK an observation and comment.....your 6 Boxwood Bonsai are very nice and representative of Japanese Boxwood but this Style does not lend itself to a Forest Planting...The Trunks are too short and have too many Lower Branches causing the look to be of Singular plantings showing off the Foilage and Branching structure, not a Forest setting...

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK an observation and comment.....your 6 Boxwood Bonsai are very nice and representative of Japanese Boxwood but this Style does not lend itself to a Forest Planting...The Trunks are too short and have too many Lower Branches causing the look to be of Singular plantings showing off the Foilage and Branching structure, not a Forest setting...
Agreed partially. 6 same size boxwood is an issue, due to the factors you pointed out. But with proper spacing, and the addition of shorter trees and taller, and removing some of the original 6, I believe I can create something more convincing. The cottonwood forests here in Abq, grow together in a similar way. It’s a challenge I’ve accepted and am attempting to tackle regardless of the potential drawbacks. Time will tell. I feel I was getting close to my goal in pic 2 of the first post, but tinkered with it too much trying to fix the spacing of the trees.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I think removing some of the Branches will add an entirely new dimension for what you are trying to accomplish...or getting away from the Forest Setting concept and going for a Boxwood Landscape with some Rocks and Ground of varying height, experimenting with the number of trees...the trees are so nice and your skill so obvious that Many variations are possible.....FWIW Forest settings are usually Straight Trunked Arrangements....

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think removing some of the Branches will add an entirely new dimension for what you are trying to accomplish...or getting away from the Forest Setting concept and going for a Boxwood Landscape with some Rocks and Ground of varying height, experimenting with the number of trees...the trees are so nice and your skill so obvious that Many variations are possible.....FWIW Forest settings are usually Straight Trunked Arrangements....
Forest, landscape. Whatever you wanna call it. It’ll be a group of box woods none the less. I do plan on trimming some trees down and others up. I don’t plan on adding many rocks if not any as I plan on leaving many of the mass and extrusions on the slab I made exposed. And I appreciate you saying my skill is obvious, but I do t know if I’m quite there yet! I make a living on design and Bonsai by far is the most challenging design work I’ve partook in. But thank you for saying!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
tackled this project about a month and a half ago. Probably would have been better to do it when it warmed up a bit more. The main tree was slow to push growth but has started to really push lately. I’ve trimmed several of the smaller trees as they were much quicker too push long extensions. The moss is growing nicely and once the trees really fill in I’ll be able to establish a well defined canopy and pads. I’ll work on getting a better pic with a solid background. I won’t repot this tree for years and years and am expecting for the roots to grow down in to the pot.
62A95458-A608-449F-81D0-D761D7E40499.jpeg
469D8F9F-FBB8-43B9-A352-047A98EAD2E7.jpeg
C276A26B-C839-44D1-B8A9-02F67F59E60B.jpeg
91CEAA0C-12D2-4029-9240-B70FD8023B75.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice badger hole!

Love how it brings attention to the main tree.

Sorce

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice work! But I’d say the pot is out of proportion to the composition. Looking at the overhead shot, you could easily use a much smaller container. It’s often nice to even have one area of the slab overhanging the edge of the pot. That might be especially effective in this case, since the slab is pretty symmetrical. But again, nice looking forest.

Top Bottom