Japanese Boxwood from Home Depot

plantmansam

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I went MIA from these forums for a bit but I'm back...happy new year to all. I got some great info from earlier post and I decided to buy this little Japanese Boxwood from home depot today for my first purchase with bonsai intentions. It was only $7 and had some pretty cool looking roots so I figured why not? Let me know what you guys think.IMAG0313.jpg IMAG0321.jpg IMAG0318.jpg IMAG0319.jpg

Best,
Sam

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't have any personal experience with boxwoods, but I know you should cover those surface roots if you want to have any chance of them living and looking decent. The one large root is bothersome, but could probably be removed when repotting.

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
I think it's better suited in the yard than in a pot.

However, if you are desperate to make something with this, a forest or group planting is probably your best route, as JoeR suggested. Go back and buy more, but try and get different sizes of the same variety. You need at least 3 in total.

plantmansam

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies and input. I think doing the group planting could be pretty interesting, I'll go back and look at some other sizes.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Not much bonsai potential in this one. Plant it as a yard shrub and check it again in ten years.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
bigger/older is part of the equation. 'taper' is another critical component that contributes to making a convincing bonsai.

respectfully recommending two web articles that i came across when i first started out. the first is by brent waltson who owns a great bonsai nursery in california. the second is by harry harrington in the uk. both have excellent web sites.

www.evergreengardenworks.com/trunks.htm
www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATDeciduousBonsaiBranchStructure.html

hope you enjoy reading the articles (they emphasize deciduous trees, but the principles are applicable to boxwoods).

plantmansam

Seedling
Reaction score
bigger/older is part of the equation. 'taper' is another critical component that contributes to making a convincing bonsai.

respectfully recommending two web articles that i came across when i first started out. the first is by brent waltson who owns a great bonsai nursery in california. the second is by harry harrington in the uk. both have excellent web sites.

www.evergreengardenworks.com/trunks.htm
www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATDeciduousBonsaiBranchStructure.html

hope you enjoy reading the articles (they emphasize deciduous trees, but the principles are applicable to boxwoods).
Thanks very much for the reply, I'll definitely read these articles and also look into "taper."

Best,
Sam

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't see any taper there either. Love the plant though. Aka Contorted filbert.

Top Bottom