Japanese boxwood with brown leaves

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Got this boxwood from dubai few weeks back. I had it I side in my home in Dubai for.few weeks (AC running at 23 Celsius) watering every few days and it did great and was growing new leaves. Itnhad few brown leaves when I got it but as it was kept outside in 40 degrees Celsius that was ok I guess.
Screenshot_20190723-123052_Chrome.jpg

3 weeks back I had to travel for 2 weeks so left it at my sisters and it was out but in the shade mostly and was getting watered daily. Came back to.pick it up yesterday, couple branches had leaves brown. They're not dry yet and leqaves ain't dropping.
I brought it to beirut lebanon today where it will be staying (temp here maxes out at 30degrees usually mid day and around 25 at night) we get few days at 35-38 max per year.
Should I keep inside or outside ? And do I keep it in the sun or in the shade outside?
I doubt its overwatered as it's in volcanic grit.
I'll keep watering daily I guess? Fertilize? Remove brown leaves?

Screenshot_20190723-123702_Gallery.jpg

Thanks

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't tell for sure, but that soil looks a little too heavy and wet for boxwood. boxwood like well-drained soil. Watering it daily is probably keeping it soggy.

I use an almost soil-less mix for them-haydite, pumice, some horticultural sand and a bit of sifted orchid bark particles.

Too much sun exposure can also cause this, along with dry air. I'd get this out of direct sun for a week or so and let it recover. Watch the watering.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
I can't tell for sure, but that soil looks a little too heavy and wet for boxwood. boxwood like well-drained soil. Watering it daily is probably keeping it soggy.

I use an almost soil-less mix for them-haydite, pumice, some horticultural sand and a bit of sifted orchid bark particles.

Too much sun exposure can also cause this, along with dry air. I'd get this out of direct sun for a week or so and let it recover. Watch the watering.
It's in volcanic gritt and it drains very well I doubt thats the cause

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Just noticed the upper browned out branch is half torn from point where it emerges. Should I cut it off or try to support it with some grafting tape till if solidifies again ?
One lower is browned out without being torn .
Anyway to save those or should I just cut them.off and grow 2 new branches from new buds?

Last edited:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If the leaves have browned, there is little hope that it will 'heal' across the break. There is always hope if there is a continuous line of cambium. If there is photosynthesis going on in the leaves, there is a supply of sugars from them coming down the inner bark (phloem) to supply the material and energy for the cambium to produce more wood across the break so that the stuff above gets water.

I've read that people have succeeded by using super glue to stabilize the wood across the break so that regrowth can happen. Wood glue should also work, as would wrapping it with grafting tape, say. But, it will be a long time, maybe 2 or 3 years until the branch recovers and there is no guarantee that it will.

I would remove the branch and move on. I think the fact that the foliage is already brown means the branch cannot be saved.

Top Bottom