Japanese Cedar Cuttings

Neurox

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just got back from gathering some Japanese Cedar and Maple cuttings (pictures of a few attached), and i have a question about the Cedars. I know that for the Maples they are to be kept outdoors, but I've read here that while rooting the Cedar they should be kept indoors for a year until they're hardy enough to be kept outside? Is this true? And also, is pure perlite the best route for rooting these? Thanks! :D

unnamed.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would say that they should be fine outdoors especially in a climate such as yours, i would keep it protected in the winter but as long as you arent getting winters below -10 C. someone correct me if im wrong

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you don't have a hard freeze, you don't need to worry about keeping them outside.

With cuttings, I have good results in 100% perlite with a clear cover over the cuttings to maintain high humidity. You don't want the perlite to be soaking wet - just uniformly moist. Keep the cuttings in good light but not direct sun.

Juniper cuttings I normally leave for about 6 months before I pot them, but elms I can pot up in about 4-6 weeks. I don't have any experience with cedars.

Top Bottom