Japanese Cedar?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I ran across about 10 small trees in 2 gallon pots at a local nursery. Identified as Japanese Cedar. Mostly straight sticks about 4' tall but with very dense twigging from the ground up. Trunks about 3/4 to 1" at the soil level.

Dark green needles and the needles were about 1/4" long. The way the branching was from soil to top I would guess they must bud back from old wood quite well.

Anyone worked with them? I can see them as being developed in a multi tree planting, a forest or something like that.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Japanese Cedar is the common name for Cryptomeria Japonica. The Japanese used to (still do i guess) make Tansu chests out of this wood.

Vic and our friend will (grouper52) both have excellent examples of Cryptomeria. From what I have learned from additonal sources is that they do in deed back bud on old wood but only in _some_ varieties.

They make Fabulous bonsai and you will find yourself truly enchanted by them as they mature. have any pics? I am personally looking for an extrememly large one to workt with but as you can imagine that search isn't coming along very fast.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Eric depending on your definition of large you may want to come south to Woodland and hit Tsugawa's nursery just off I-5. I bought a large one there.

Mac-
They do seem to back bud easily but... extreme bending seems to snuff branches and they can be brittle. They also seem to grow fairly slowly so patience is indeed a virtue here. They make great bonsai and I don't understand why they are so largely ignored.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Mac,

Ang3lfir3 is right. In my experience they will back bud on old wood, prolifically sometimes, but only if they are just growing robustly, say in a nursery pot or in the ground. BUT, if you try to INDUCE back budding by chopping or any other method they will just ignore you. In general I like them a lot, very versatile, robust and hardy. The foliage on some varieties is exceptionally small and tight, easily giving the illusion that you are viewing a large tree from afar. Good luck with the ones you have.

Top Bottom