Japanese elm... Me likey

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
its from the thread my powerful zelkova, yets its in development. if you mean those clustering red buds, no as theyre not needed, they will be rubbed out
Not sure why, only part of your post came up first time I looked, read it properly now ๐Ÿ˜‚

Yeah think I've seen the thread a while ago I think - will have another look.

Really I want to chop now, just seems a shame to waste the top is all. I'll ponder it again over a beer.

Any chance the top would root or too thick?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Probably too thick to root as a cutting. Some of the smaller branches might take.

'Wasting' material is something you need to get used to. It's only ever worth layering something if the new plant you'd get is something you actually want. Otherwise you're just setting back development of your main tree by a year, and you end up with another crappy tree you don't know what to do with. Better to just cut it off, throw it away, and get on with the real job in hand.

There is a potential clump style tree in that top section, were you to layer it off. Is that a tree you want to add to your collection? You don't see many clump style Chinese elms around, maybe because they would tend to end up looking like a bush rather than a tree. The top bit also looks to have some problems with taper in the branches already, so turning it into anything else might be a challenge.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Probably too thick to root as a cutting. Some of the smaller branches might take.

'Wasting' material is something you need to get used to. It's only ever worth layering something if the new plant you'd get is something you actually want. Otherwise you're just setting back development of your main tree by a year, and you end up with another crappy tree you don't know what to do with. Better to just cut it off, throw it away, and get on with the real job in hand.

There is a potential clump style tree in that top section, were you to layer it off. Is that a tree you want to add to your collection? You don't see many clump style Chinese elms around, maybe because they would tend to end up looking like a bush rather than a tree. The top bit also looks to have some problems with taper in the branches already, so turning it into anything else might be a challenge.
I'm so glad I'm coming back to see this post because...

Beer happened ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Attachments

• 20210327_200653.jpg
    20210327_200653.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 20210327_200111.jpg
    20210327_200111.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 95

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
See I do my most daring on little sleep. {The reason the Bald Cypress is to the far right of the pot instead of to the left.} But, you got a good direction going. Most wish they had chopped lower when it comes to years down the road and they have developed their material.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
See I do my most daring on little sleep. {The reason the Bald Cypress is to the far right of the pot instead of to the left.} But, you got a good direction going. Most wish they had chopped lower when it comes to years down the road and they have developed their material.
Yes there's definitely something about lowered senses which brings out the adventurous side! No regrets - will hopefully do a lot of good in the long run. Done a lot of reading up today - got more know how now of structural pruning and ramification.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Potted ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป 3 little pots and shoved a few in the grow beds out of curiousity!
Did you add a humidity tent?
I am putting the pots with cuttings in tall ziplock bags, in shade, with only morning sun. Game changer for me.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Did you add a humidity tent?
I am putting the pots with cuttings in tall ziplock bags, in shade, with only morning sun. Game changer for me.
My tipsy self thought experimenting would be fun...no idea if any will take! Ran out of ziplock bags so improvised ๐Ÿ˜‚

I tried some elm cuttings (much smaller) on my windowsill last year and had no luck.

Attachments

• 20210328_103132.jpg
    20210328_103132.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210328_103119.jpg
    20210328_103119.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210328_103647.jpg
    20210328_103647.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210328_103607.jpg
    20210328_103607.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 27

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
good move. i would probably take off one of the red marks though probably the middle one, you want the main primary lines not crossing if you can. i can see you have eliminated all other crossing bits though and turned everything into two from one, obvs been watching Potter๐Ÿ˜‰.
most dont take this first step and you did it already so hats off.

so you sort of want these main lines to havr an up n out feel. bit like that elm in Potters vid. the new twigs that form with be thinner and fill in the negative area in the middle over time.

the other branch in red on left, is very thick, as you get finer twigs to form you might find it can be replaced by a thinner twig
Screenshot_20210328-125108_Chrome.jpg

when you take off that middle line it will give the branch a nice change of direction.

if thats your front.

btw virt is only roughed out main lines

Last edited:

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
good move. i would probably take off one of the red marks though probably the middle one, you want the main primary lines not crossing if you can. i can see you have eliminated all other crossing bits though and turned everything into two from one, obvs been watching Potter๐Ÿ˜‰.

so you sort of want these main lines to havr an up n out feel. bit like that elm in Potters vid. the new twigs that form with be thinner and fill in the negative area in the middle over time.

the other branch in red on left, is very thick, as you get finer twigs to form you might find it can be replaced by a thinner twig
View attachment 363964

when you take off that middle line it will give the branch a nice change of direction.

if thats your front.
I agree to take one of those off, missed that one somehow... well spotted thanks! Think I agree to take off the right of the two, even though the left is too thick like you said. That can be dealt with later though.

Taking off the right one would create a nice change of direction with that curved branch next to it, which I really like. Will do that shortly.

Haha the Potter video is great, glad you posted it again! Maybe post it again in a few months when I've forgotten about it? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Really simple but useful video.

Was worried I'd get roasted for the massacre, but the more I look at it the more I know it was a good choice ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

The cut on the main trunk ended up more on view then I'd have liked, but I think I chopped in the best place for the new leader.

All in all I'm very pleased. And VERY happy with the roots, was expecting to need to take more time to work on them.

Cheers to that and all your help everyone ๐Ÿป

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I agree to take one of those off, missed that one somehow... well spotted thanks! Think I agree to take off the right of the two, even though the left is too thick like you said. That can be dealt with later though.

Taking off the right one would create a nice change of direction with that curved branch next to it, which I really like. Will do that shortly.

Haha the Potter video is great, glad you posted it again! Maybe post it again in a few months when I've forgotten about it? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Really simple but useful video.

Was worried I'd get roasted for the massacre, but the more I look at it the more I know it was a good choice ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

The cut on the main trunk ended up more on view then I'd have liked, but I think I chopped in the best place for the new leader.

All in all I'm very pleased. And VERY happy with the roots, was expecting to need to take more time to work on them.

Cheers to that and all your help everyone ๐Ÿป
yeh the roots are very good, forgot to say and will only get better. that site knows what theyre doing ive always bought good stuff from there.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
yeh the roots are very good, forgot to say and will only get better. that site knows what theyre doing ive always bought good stuff from there.
Oh aye - really impressed, packaging and delivery time was great too. And decent prices. Will be buying more from them!

Edit - forgot to say, cheers for the virt too!

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score

View attachment 363964

if thats your front.

btw virt is only roughed out main lines
Better ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Attachments

• 20210328_141403.jpg
    20210328_141403.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 55
Top Bottom