Japanese elm... Me likey

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Air layering below the bulge has been suggested - nice idea but not sure I'll bother.

You might find that the upper part of the tree, after being air-layered off, and with a nice ground flare with tons of surface roots, is nicer than the lower half :)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
much better. only nit picking, but if was mine i would also in the growing season smooth out and reduce the knob on the right with knob cutters, it wouldnt deter growth much and give you even cleaner lines...

going forward you can probably use the Potter elm for inspo, very similar lines
20210403_135808.jpg
Screenshot_20210403-140805_Gallery.jpg

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
much better. only nit picking, but if was mine i would also in the growing season smooth out and reduce the knob on the right with knob cutters, it wouldnt deter growth much and give you even cleaner lines...

going forward you can probably use the Potter elm for inspo, very similar lines
View attachment 365374
View attachment 365375
Yes good shout thanks, that lump has been bugging me but don't actually have any knob cutters, and didn't want to butcher with the limited tools I do have! Will have to get some 👍🏻

Few buds swelling, definitely slow to get going but I'm confident it will

Attachments

• 20210403_120604.jpg
    20210403_120604.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 38

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes good shout thanks, that lump has been bugging me but don't actually have any knob cutters, and didn't want to butcher with the limited tools I do have! Will have to get some 👍🏻

Few buds swelling, definitely slow to get going but I'm confident it will
a sharp blade or scalpel could work too by taking shavings off in stages until looks more even. no rush though take your time.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
a sharp blade or scalpel could work too by taking shavings off in stages until looks more even. no rush though take your time.
Yeah, I could do with some knob cutters anyway though. But yeah will get on that after it's had a little rest and I've looked into it properly. Looking forward to some growth

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Cuttings update - the lot with the bowl on top definitely making the best progress! I'm slowly lifting the bowl, to get them used to it. May switch to some cling film or zip lock bag with. Few holes in instead.

Fingers crossed they keep going! Pretty happy as they're not bad sized cuttings.

I'm guessing it's a case of waiting for substantial growth before replanting? Happy to wait and definitely resist the urge/curiousity to check for roots 😂

Attachments

• 20210410_115024.jpg
    20210410_115024.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 40

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm slowly lifting the bowl, to get them used to it.
Don't.

It has only been a week. They do not even have begun to root. Keep humidity up for another 3 weeks at least, probably more like 6-8 weeks before any real rooting is expected. Do you provide bottom-heat or are they subjected to the miserable spring coolness outside?

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Don't.

It has only been a week. They do not even have begun to root. Keep humidity up for another 3 weeks at least, probably more like 6-8 weeks before any real rooting is expected. Do you provide bottom-heat or are they subjected to the miserable spring coolness outside?
Good point. They're outside enjoying the lovely weather 🙄

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree. The magic of cuttings is amazing to see but Cuttings frequently start new shoots well before any roots have formed below. Larger cuttings have greater reserves so can grow even larger shoots before suddenly wilting and drop dead because of no roots. Keep the humidity high to give them the best chance to grow roots before they dehydrate. Success is only after you see some root tips growing through the drain holes of the pot.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I agree. The magic of cuttings is amazing to see but Cuttings frequently start new shoots well before any roots have formed below. Larger cuttings have greater reserves so can grow even larger shoots before suddenly wilting and drop dead because of no roots. Keep the humidity high to give them the best chance to grow roots before they dehydrate. Success is only after you see some root tips growing through the drain holes of the pot.
Great info, won't get too ahead of myself yet then!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Where are you keeping them at the moment?
Just thinking of freezing temps each night for past few days.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Where are you keeping them at the moment?
Just thinking of freezing temps each night for past few days.
They've stayed outside, but tucked in between others on the plant stand. Hopefully that's enough but we'll see. I have more confidence in the one with the glass dome bowl

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Feel like I'm back to beginning of my bonsai journey 🤦

So I've got the (what I believe to be) classic white mould/fungus situation going on with this one and two of my other potted trees. Since repotting in a decent soil mix (kaizen), I've found it much harder to know when to water. I've found the top looks super dry super quickly. And I've most likely overwatered as a result. Lesson well and truly learned!

Best remedy? Is it a case of trying to brush off, then just watering less? Concerned about this one particularly, with the bark being so delicate.

I know @leatherback warned me of over watering (dreading the disappointment to come!) I did try not to... Must admit it's a bit of a confidence hit 😕 But anyway here we are, you live and learn.

Attachments

• 20210415_184801.jpg
    20210415_184801.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210415_184807.jpg
    20210415_184807.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 28

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They've stayed outside, but tucked in between others on the plant stand. Hopefully that's enough but we'll see. I have more confidence in the one with the glass dome bowl
all my cuttings are outside, i dont often take cuttings but when i do i leave em outside;)

i have two large field maple branches stuck in a tray in spag moss and soil on my balcony im attempting rafts with them and there is also an english elm raft attempt in the same tray, in another tray i have english elm root cuttings. i just keep the soil moist. ive had large trident branches root on my balcony before inside a bonsai pot that was then stuck in one of the overhanging troughs. the troughs are filled with soil and collect water which in turns provides humidity around the pots. it worked that one time, the trident cutting produced roots that found there way into the trough beneath. i didnt use any plastic covering.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
That looks like mineral deposits from hard water, not mould.
Ohhh! Of course...I just presumed it's over watering, phew if not!

Am struggling to keep the bark intact though? On this one and it's a lot worse on my little elm broom, lots coming off

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
all my cuttings are outside, i dont often take cuttings but when i do i leave em outside;)

i have two large field maple branches stuck in a tray in spag moss and soil on my balcony im attempting rafts with them and there is also an english elm raft attempt in the same tray, in another tray i have english elm root cuttings. i just keep the soil moist. ive had large trident branches root on my balcony before inside a bonsai pot that was then stuck in one of the overhanging troughs. the troughs are filled with soil and collect water which in turns provides humidity around the pots. it worked that one time, the trident cutting produced roots that found there way into the trough beneath. i didnt use any plastic covering.
Very reassuring to hear! The ones I have in the grow bed and open pots look to be still alive, but developing much slower. It'll be an interesting low risk experiment.

What's the thickest you've managed to root? From what I've been told and read it seems like a lot of pot luck? The trough idea sounds like a good one though

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ohhh! Of course...I just presumed it's over watering, phew if not!

Am struggling to keep the bark intact though? On this one and it's a lot worse on my little elm broom, lots coming off
I wouldnt be worried about over watering. If the mix is as you say, from Kaizen, they tend to be good and very hard to over water. Just dont under water :).

And yeh, hard water areas will always have that white build up.
I've an appointment with a toothbrush and vinegar again for 2 trees of mine.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I wouldnt be worried about over watering. If the mix is as you say, from Kaizen, they tend to be good and very hard to over water.
See that's what I thought, and what really confused me! Cheers for clarifying.

I'll have a little try with the ol' toothbrush tomorrow, but like I said the bark is so fragile. So if it's not gonna come off easily, it's probably not gonna come off!

Top Bottom